TripAdvisor
Portland
Post
Inbox
Search

“Better than good but best after beer”

The Frying Scotsman
Ranked #75 of 272 Quick Bites in Portland
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
Reviewed April 23, 2013

You really can't go wrong with most of the food trucks around Portland. It's quite the place to satisfy whatever taste you may be searching for...and if you happen to be searching after a drinking few locally brewed beers, then you have to stop at The Frying Scotsman.

Simply put, this small food truck has great fish n chips. You can get it made with many different types of fish. We tried the haddock and red snapper, and both were well breaded, crispy and fresh. Everything is made from scratch by the cook/owner James and there is no questioning his dedication and ability. If it is good enough to be featured on Eat Street, then it's good enough for us.

Apart from the food, if you aren't familiar with Portland food trucks you'll find seating to be part of the excitement of eating outside. Some trucks have their own picnic table, or maybe a few chairs here and there. We sat on the curb and ate while people were flying by on their bikes or crawling along in their cars. It was definitely more memorable for those reasons. The sights and sounds of city go well with such a simple dish.

Try this place if you enjoy the feeling of being full on greasy fish n chips. The portions are generous and the service is unique. It's definitely better than good, but it's best after a few beers. Actually, with or without beer, you'll walk so much in Portland it won't matter.

Date of visit: September 2012
Write a reviewReviews (55)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The best fish and chips I have had. We decided on the Cod, because we were not sure about haddock. The fish was perfectly cooked and the batter fried up pefectly. Chips great as well. Our Son, loved it and wanted more. This is a must stop if trying out the Portland Food Carts. Friendly service and answered all my husband questions. We went at noon on a Tueday and it was not horribly busy at any of the food carts. You place your order then when your order is called out you pay and receive your order. Which I prefer. Service was quick for perfectly fried fish and chips.

Date of visit: April 2013
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have seen and heard so much about this place that on a recent trip to Portland we felt we had to do this. We were not disappointed. We had a large haddock and chips. While I really enjoyed the fish, I wish I would have chosen halibut. It is more familiar to us. The haddock had almost a metallic aftertaste. We also had the deep fried mars bar which needs to be eaten right away. It will taste fishy and is oily later. Prices were great for portion sizes!

Date of visit: December 2012
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We saw him on the the Travel Channel on a show about Food Carts. When we to Portland we stopped and order fish and chips. Fish is not one of my favorite foods, but my friendloves it so we went. It was great, if I lived in Portland I would be eating fish more often then I do now and this would be the place I would go to.

Date of visit: September 2012
Reviewed June 24, 2012

On the proprietor's recommendation my husband ordered the haddock. It was battered to order and fried to perfection. I don't eat fish and I will admit that I had 3 bites of this sizable filet. Very tasty.

Date of visit: June 2012