TripAdvisor
Portland
Post
Inbox
Search

“Cheers to Great Fish and Chips!”

The Frying Scotsman
Ranked #75 of 272 Quick Bites in Portland
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The best fish and chips I have had. We decided on the Cod, because we were not sure about haddock. The fish was perfectly cooked and the batter fried up pefectly. Chips great as well. Our Son, loved it and wanted more. This is a must stop if trying out the Portland Food Carts. Friendly service and answered all my husband questions. We went at noon on a Tueday and it was not horribly busy at any of the food carts. You place your order then when your order is called out you pay and receive your order. Which I prefer. Service was quick for perfectly fried fish and chips.

Date of visit: April 2013
Write a reviewReviews (55)

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have seen and heard so much about this place that on a recent trip to Portland we felt we had to do this. We were not disappointed. We had a large haddock and chips. While I really enjoyed the fish, I wish I would have chosen halibut. It is more familiar to us. The haddock had almost a metallic aftertaste. We also had the deep fried mars bar which needs to be eaten right away. It will taste fishy and is oily later. Prices were great for portion sizes!

Date of visit: December 2012
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We saw him on the the Travel Channel on a show about Food Carts. When we to Portland we stopped and order fish and chips. Fish is not one of my favorite foods, but my friendloves it so we went. It was great, if I lived in Portland I would be eating fish more often then I do now and this would be the place I would go to.

Date of visit: September 2012
Reviewed June 24, 2012

On the proprietor's recommendation my husband ordered the haddock. It was battered to order and fried to perfection. I don't eat fish and I will admit that I had 3 bites of this sizable filet. Very tasty.

Date of visit: June 2012
Reviewed April 11, 2012

attended a family wedding - they had arranged for him to come the evening before - unable to bring the whole cart etc but he cooked fabulous fish and chips for 40 of us - would definitely seek him out when I go next time

Date of visit: October 2011