TripAdvisor

“Best Fish and Chips”

The Frying Scotsman
Ranked #75 of 272 Quick Bites in Portland
Cuisines: Scottish
Description: This is a foodcart, so it might not qualify for your purposes, but this was the best Fish and Chips I have ever had. And I've had fish and chips is over 12 counties. I was so impressed, I had to try to get him listed here.
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We saw him on the the Travel Channel on a show about Food Carts. When we to Portland we stopped and order fish and chips. Fish is not one of my favorite foods, but my friendloves it so we went. It was great, if I lived in Portland I would be eating fish more often then I do now and this would be the place I would go to.

Date of visit: September 2012
Write a reviewReviews (55)

Reviewed June 24, 2012

On the proprietor's recommendation my husband ordered the haddock. It was battered to order and fried to perfection. I don't eat fish and I will admit that I had 3 bites of this sizable filet. Very tasty.

Date of visit: June 2012
Reviewed April 11, 2012

attended a family wedding - they had arranged for him to come the evening before - unable to bring the whole cart etc but he cooked fabulous fish and chips for 40 of us - would definitely seek him out when I go next time

Date of visit: October 2011
Reviewed March 29, 2012

my husband is from Great Britain and we have been searching for fish and chips like they make there. No one in the US does and they should. We heard about the Frying Scotsman on Food Network and knew we had to go. We were not disappointed. It was fabulous. You need to go.

Date of visit: March 2012
Reviewed January 3, 2012

This little food cart was very high on our list of "Must Try's". We managed to get there right before we started our drive home and ordered the large size haddock. It was perfectly battered and seasoned so well. Very rare do you find fish & chips where the fish is seasoned enough that you don't need tons of tartar sauce! It was a little tasty piece of heaven and the malt vinegar was enough to bring out it's true flavours. The french fries were cut thick and the soft potato in the middle was sublime. Great value for the price. Definitely worth trying out if you are doing a food cart tour of Portland.

Date of visit: January 2012