“C'est parfait” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of St Jack

St Jack
Reserve with OpenTable
St Jack is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #228 of 4,238 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: SE 21st Ave and Clinton
Description: Chef and restaurateur Aaron Barnett's unique menu feature rustic dishes from the countryside of Lyon, the heart and soul of French cooking.
Paso Robles, California
“C'est parfait”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Wow! St Jack hits it out of the park. We love French bistro's- crowded, noisy, indifferent waiters, great local food- the whole package. The real thing is hard to find in the US- there are some decent ones in Atlanta and, up until now, Bistro du Coin in D.C. has been a long time favorite. St. Jack just put em all away. Ambience: unpretentious but comfortable- busy but not too noisy. Service: friendly but slightly unpredictable. Food: well-prepared, creative, fresh and thoroughly French. Fantastic Patisserie, too. Parisian indeed.

Every single thing our party of three ordered was remarkable. Baguettes- perfect. The desserts were off the chart. Among other things- Steak frites, Asparagus mushroom tarte, Baked macaroni, Salade Lyonaisse.... mmmmm! All of it was exceedingly delicious. Just give it a go, you won't regret it. Another sweet spot in the Hawthorne.

• Visited July 2012

No. California
“very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

I came with locals who had St. Jack on their "places to try" list. The server was attentive, made great suggestions and we were not disappointed. The steak was cooked as ordered, the fries were perfect and the chocolate/caramel dessert w/ espresso ice cream put me over the top. My friends were equally satisfied with the trotter and the steak. We had a nice, quiet table in the back and did not feel rushed. I would definitely go back.

• Visited May 2012
Stevenson, Washington
“No Bread for Croque Monsieur!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

On my quest for the best croque monsieur this side of Paris, wanted to try St. Jack today. My friend and I were already tasting it, when we went to place our order at the front desk, she told us they were out of Croque Monsieur! When I asked how that was possible, she said they didn't have the bread, and without an apology! We quickly left to head for Chinese food. More about that later. It is the best Chinese in PDX!

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
portland, oregon
“Not impressed at all!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

I don't get how this place rates so high. This was my birthday dinner. My wife called ahead and made reservations. When we arrived,we were seated at the worst table in the place and it was empty when we got there and empty when we left. They sure didn't make me feel special in any way. In fact, much the opposite.
My steak was way overcooked at rough and chewy. My wifes fish was the same. The fries that came with the steak had so much salt I couldn't eat them.
I felt this was one of the worst meals I've had out in some time. I'm not an overly critical person but our experience was not at all what everyone else is talking about. The service wasn't that good, the atmosphere was so so and the food was not good at all.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Ron B
Vancouver, Washington
“Very Average, Especially for the Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

Had high hopes for this place after all the good reviews but it was a real let down. Good bread and butter, decent Steak but the fries were frozen! A real shock when this is a "specialty" Everything else including the service was very average and spendy, we won't be back.

• Visited April 2012