“Good food, very expensive!”
Review of Portland Prime - CLOSED

Portland Prime
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd & Pine
Transit: Portland's Light Rail (MAX) stops 2 blocks away on 1st & Oak.
Description: Featuring fresh Northwest seafood, prime steak and chops along with farm-fresh produce and specialty items made by local artisans and purveyors. A glowing wood fired oven, charcuterie station and oyster bar, vintage cocktails, local craft micro-brews and barrel-to-tap wines by the glass from Oregon vintners are hallmarks of the Portland Prime experience. The restaurant is open for lunch, dinner and happy hour daily features a Champagne Sunday Brunch. A private dining room is available and seats up to 40 guests with an adjacent wine cellar.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We had a Fox 12 Daily Deal we wanted to cash in in which we paid $30 and got $60 worth of food. My husband had the steak special that came with a potato and some of the thickest asparagus you have ever seen. He asked for it to be cooked medium well and it was done to perfection. I had the braised short ribs which was well presented and came with mashed potatoes. It didn't say in the description that it would come with the potatoes so I ordered an $8(!) side of macaroni and cheese. The short ribs were delicious! It was tender, fall off the bone and the flavoring was perfect. They were the best short ribs I have ever had. The portions aren't overly huge but are decent.
The restaurant was very nice and had a romantic, classy feel to it with dimly lit lights and nice wood work everywhere. We were there on a Saturday night and they had a jazz band playing in the bar area. I'm not a huge fan of jazz music but these guys were really good and added to the ambiance of the place.
Since the restaurant is located downtown, of course you have to pay for parking but there is a parking lot across the street that charges $8 flat rate in the evenings and plenty of on street pay parking around the restaurant.
My only complaint would be the price. Maybe it's because I'm not used to eating at such high end places but paying $30 - $60 for a meal and then having to buy a side dish for $8 seems a bit ridiculous! For that price I better be getting the side for free. Even with the Daily Deal coupon we had of $60 we still had to pay another $65 making the bill a total of $125 for the two of us (this price also included two virgin drinks and a wedge salad in addition to the entrees).
I also think the menu is a bit limiting in the sense they don't have a lot of choices for entrees. I would love it if they offered a pasta dish without seafood or a chicken dish of some sort.

There are newer reviews for Portland Prime

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went here for a meal in early March. The restaurant is very dark and has little or no atmosphere. Service was poor on this visit . I had the braised ribs and was not especially happy with them . My wife had a Filet mignon and did enjoy her meal. For the price I expected a lot more quality and didn't get it. I won't be coming back.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Loved the pizza, fries, and variety of food. The wine was good too. Did not care for the escargot. I did feel that the lunch menu was a bit limiting.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

The dinner was good but not what you would expect for the price. The real issue was they seemed to be out of a lot of items, from wine to the prime rib my wife wanted to have for dinner.The wait staff tried their best to make light of being unable to provide items listed on their menu which became really annoying. Needless to say for the price I will be heading back to other places such as Morton's before returning here.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

After enjoying the complimentary reception downstairs at the Embassy Suites, I decided I wanted something lighter for dinner. I entered Prime since it was connected to the hotel. I was immediately greeted by a hostess and requested a seat at the bar.

I order the calamari appetizer. It came very warm and with several dipping sauces options. It was very good. Staff was very friendly.