“Good but could be better”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kask

Kask
Ranked #369 of 4,252 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: German, American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Alder Street
Transit: Streetcar at 11th and Alder, #15 bus at 11th and Alder, MAX stop at Galleria/SW 10th and Morrison.
Portland, Oregon
“Good but could be better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

What I like: The restaurant is handsome and the waitstaff is friendly. We began our dinner with two different salads; both were very good, especially the one with a chiffonade of kale. Both were well dressed with excellent vinaigrettes.

Our friend who selected the calves liver enjoyed her dinner. My wife and enjoyed the sausages on our main courses. However my pork chop -- a real bellweather of good German fare -- was tender but virtually without much flavor. The spaetzle on the plate were okay but without any gravy or sauce, it was as if a side order of undressed ziti or spaghetti were placed on the plate. Combining the bland pork and the bland spaetzle was a disappointment.

The noise level was medium high and the menu choices were limited. Still it was good enough for another visit. After all it's difficult to find good German-Alsatian-Austrian fare that seems based more on quality than quantity.

• Visited October 2012

Vancouver, Canada
“Great burger”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I read on Serious Eats that this place had great burgers- but only at lunchtime, which are weekdays only, or at the bar at dinnertime. Fortunately, we were able to go for a Monday lunch and we weren't disappointed.

The design is very clean and Scandinavian-style sparse. The servers were all super lovely. I spied jars of preserves, which they put up themselves and really use, as the amazing pickles we had attested to. My husband and I each had the burger, and Serious Eats was not wrong. It was amazing. The patty was dripping with juice, despite my foodie sin of ordering it well done, and the poppy seed bun was soft and rich and so good. I could have eaten a lot more of the roasted potatoes that came on the side- there were only about 3 pieces. But it was all great. Try it!

• Visited October 2012
oregon
“good food but expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Small portions of appetizer, stingy w/ the bread. The entree was very good but very salty. That's the problem w/ many places these days- all the dishes are too salty and I'm drinking water rest of the night. It's German type food so they had October fest w/ sausages, pork chops, sauerkraut etc. I shared a trout dish and although it was good, it was $23. Shocking to pay that much for a fish that used to be dirt cheap. All the dishes ran about that. We were a group of 6 and some had beers and some had wine and we shared 2 appetizers and each had a dish and 1 person had dessert and 2 had coffee and it came out to about $315 total including tip (it was included in the sum b/c we were a party of 6). It's not terrible but I didn't walk away thinking it was worth that much. It didn't blow me away.

Visited September 2012
Seattle, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great twist to food from the alps”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Enjoyed the meal very much. Their "dumplings" are spectacular do not miss it. Their lamb chops where extremely juicy and tender - great beers as well.

Visited September 2012
The World
“Portland Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I love the vibe in Gruner. It is distinctly Portland. Creative, yet traditionally rooted, fair filled my belly. Like other reviews I was smitten with the deviled eggs and foie gras. The drinks were well crafted and classic. Yum!

• Visited January 2012