“Second Taste Disappoints”

Uptown Billiards Club
Reserve with OpenTable
Uptown Billiards Club is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #631 of 4,292 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Northwest District
Cross street: West Burnside
Transit: On the 15 bus line, max stops by the MAC Club about 5 or 6 blocks away.
Eugene, Oregon
“Second Taste Disappoints”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My first dinner at Uptown Billiards Club filled me with raves and whet my appetite for more from this creative chef in an unexpected setting. Alas, a recent return visit failed to live up to expectations. A summery 5-course cherry-themed tasting menu sounded exciting but fell far short of excellence. The menu opened with a very promising savory cheesecake but went off course from there, with a steak entrée served at room temperature and cherry pie in an overworked crust. Disappointing inconsistency from a kitchen that seemed to hold exciting potential.

• Visited July 2013

Montreal
“Super quality meal in a pool room ??”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I would have NEVER think possible having one of my best meals ever in a ... pool room. While in Portland, after a day spent touring wineries, our guide, Jack Cranley, suggested this fantastic place. The overall experience was wonderful. You get a 5 course meal with a theme that changes every few weeks. In our case, the star product was peach; there was peach in each of the 5 courses, superbly adapted, perfect. Very special atmosphere, perfect service (merci Lauren). On top of it, a ridiculously low price, $30 for the 5 courses; and if you wish to add the wine pairing, be ready to disburse an additional ... $14 for 5 glasses of wine. Perfect evening.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Pops013
Eugene, Oregon
“An Appetite for Billiards”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

It seems an unlikely pairing: a traditional billiards club and innovative cuisine. But surprise appears to be a tradition at the Uptown Billiards Club where five-course tasting menus demonstrate skillful moves in a creative kitchen. At the urging of a food-wise friend, we reserved a table for the restaurant’s five-course tasting menu of the evening--$30 for a series of small plates that led us through a Mexico-themed meal, from ceviche to flan and choros. What a deal! Elegant presentation, gracious service and flavors that equal the creative, new cuisine of Mexico City. Tasting menus change themes often. I’ll be back to try another.

• Visited May 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Fabulous experience”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Great Experience. Did the 5 course meal paired with drinks. Mexican theme was going on. Menu changes every 2 wks. Food and drinks were excellent. Didnt like the beer drink that's just me I dont like beer. The courses are small but filling, excellent display and delicious to the max. Flavor and presentation get a 10 out of 10. Takes about 2hrs start to finish. Great service. Good ambience. Make a reservation if you can. Recommend and will do again.

• Visited May 2013
Vancouver, Washington
“What a Gem!!...”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I booked my girlfriends birthday party at Uptown Billiards, and we had a wonderful time. This is a unique place, truly lovely place. The staff greeted us from the moment we arrived, and they waited on our every need. I brought the birthday cake from a bakery, and the immediately took it to the kitchen and put it away until we were finished with dinner, which was delicious. They put candles on it and brought it out lit, and everyone in the parlor sang happy birthday to my girl...she was very happy. We were treated so amazingly, I can't wait to go back and do the formal 5 course dinner in the dining room.

This is a must..oh, and the pool table, darts, casino games are just a bonus...and the cocktails are amazing too.

• Visited March 2013