“Beautiful--just like China”

Portland Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #4 of 448 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Opened in fall of 2000, this is the largest Suzhou style garden outside of China.
Washington, DC
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Beautiful--just like China”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I visited gardens in and near Shanghai and the Lan Su is as beautiful in every way. I visited Lan Su after a day of meetings and it was so serene--right in the middle of the city. I couldn't believe that there were so many blooms in January! The tea house is a must. The tea ceremony with three teas is well worth the price and experience. I loved the art by sister city artists--although I was not sure of how to purchase. Do not miss this garden when in Portland--if I lived there, I'd have a yearly membership for certain!

• Korean first
Seattle, Washington
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Take a guided tour”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Taking one of the free guided tours makes adds immensely to the experience of seeing and appreciating the Garden. The tour guides are all volunteers, and very knowledgeable about the history and meaning of the various aspects of the Garden. Our guide had a background in art history; others have varying professional backgrounds of one kind or another such as law and business.

My wife and I had seen other Chinese gardens such as the one in Vancouver, BC, and as beautiful as they all are, we got vastly more benefit from visiting the Portland Garden because we took the time to take the tour. Enjoy!

Beaverton, Oregon
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Relaxing and serene”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I went there on a brisk, but clear winter day. We all took lots of pictures of the vegetation and architecture reflected in the still water of the ponds.

This was our second visit -- and well worth it. It is only the size of a city block, but to really see it, plan on spending at least an hour; we were there over two hours.

Israel, Jerusalem
217 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 236 helpful votes
“serenity in the middle of the city”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

once you enter you can't believe you are in the middle of downtown portland, minutes away from everything. the garden is actually a full scale chinese home and its gardens that was given as a present to the city of portland. such a quite and peaceful place. I wouldn't mind living in such environment. don't wait for the guided tour. the brochure you'll get at the beginning has a lot of explanations that were good enough for me. I prefer just going by myself but maybe it's just me...

Visited August 2013
Fort Yukon, Alaska
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“You forget that you are downtown Portland...”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Yes, there is a charge. Yes, it is worth it. Don't rush. Read about what you are seeing, smelling and touching and why you are seeing, smelling and touching it... You will be on "Portland time" ... change that and slow down. Enjoy. Ask questions - take a tour. You will go back~

Visited June 2013
1 Thank TerminationDust

Been to Lan Su Chinese Garden? Share your experiences!