“Relax -- then go have a drink”

Lan Su Chinese Garden
Portland Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #4 of 448 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Opened in fall of 2000, this is the largest Suzhou style garden outside of China.
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Relax -- then go have a drink”
Reviewed February 15, 2012

A wonderful respite in the middle of an already-beautiful city. Wander, contemplate, exhale -- then head to one of the many great spots in walking distance for a drink.

Visited December 2011

• Korean first
Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A Retreat in the Middle of Downtown Portland”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

The Lan Su Chinese Garden is built to reflect the personal residence of a wealthy Chinese family, and encompasses a full city block in downtown Portland. There is a large koi pond, fascinating architecture, and beautiful landscaping, all designed to make you slow down and appreciate nature. In the middle of the Garden is a tea house..and not just a display tea house, as in many such gardens, but a real serving tea house with a wide variety of teas and light snacks. While we were there traditional Chinese music was performed, and it made the day even nicer. Fabulous teas in a great location.

Visited February 2012
Seattle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“RUDE CASHIER BANNED US FROM ENTERING!”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I was here last Sunday with my 23 year old nephew. We had read a lot about it and were looking forward to visiting. Being in Chinatown for the first time my nephew was excited and had bought a stick of incense at a local shop. He had lit it and put it in his cap. As soon as we approached the box office to buy tickets, an older Anglo woman with glasses came rushing to the front of the box office demanding to know "what's going on here?" in a very rude tone. Before I could even get the words -- "It's incense and my nephew is about to put it out" -- out, the old lady through us off the property. I have never witnessed such a rude, knee-jerk reaction in my entire life! All this for carrying around incense outside a Chinese garden! One would think she didn't know that the Chinese use of incense is abundant in the culture! Not only was I shocked that we were immediately shooed off the property, but that this woman would react so violently to such a benign situation involving customers to a major tourist attraction! It was the most unbelievable over-reaction I have ever seen from someone in a custodial position for a major tourist attraction. I am almost 50 years old and have never been treated so rudely in my life. Whoever this woman was -- I assume the manager -- really needs to be re-trained in dealing with the public, or better yet, should be forced to retire! If you get passed her and are allowed it, please post some pictures. I would love to see what it looks like from inside! Good luck!

Visited February 2012
6 Thank Poeit1
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very pretty”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Very pretty, but a little small. Good size for being in downtown Portland. I went in the winter and suspect it would be much prettier in spring or summer with more flowers and plants

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very nice small traditional Chinese garden in the heart of old town.”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

A very nice small traditional Chinese garden in the heart of old town Portland (right down town). Also be sure and stop at the Tea House in the garden, it's a real treat..

Been to Lan Su Chinese Garden? Share your experiences!