“Impressive” 5 of 5 bubbles

Best of Portland City Afternoon Tour
Ranked #4 of 440 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Opened in fall of 2000, this is the largest Suzhou style garden outside of China.
Kansas City, Missouri
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Impressive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

We visited the Lan Su in the middle of a busy day and while in it you could not tell you were in a former parking lot in the middle of downtown Portland. The tours we took were informative and fun, the TeaHouse was peaceful and the whole experience was great. My wife and I looked at our watches when we left and couldn't believe we had spent over 3 hours there. It was truly eye-opening and informative to say the least. How they did what they did in one city block is quite unique.

• Korean first
Houston, Texas
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Elegant & Peaceful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

I just had 20 minutes to rush through this garden, but it was well worth my time. The $8 fee was too high for such a short visit, but we got lucky because there was an event that evening and we got in for half price. I would love to have time to stop and relax, meditate, have a cup of tea, a snack and shop a little at the beautiful gift shop. The garden is beautiful and peaceful. I loved it and highly recommend a visit.

Henderson, Nevada
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“Lovely garden - enjoy it for what it is”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

I had been to the Japanese Garden on a previous visit to Portland, so decided to try the Chinese garden instead on a recent visit. Was a bit leary to go based on location and other reviews, but decided to give it a shot. We were very glad that we did. Unlike some, who don’t like the location (right smack dab in the middle of a Portland neighborhood), I actually liked the contrast between old and new. To stand within the calm garden and look out at the taller, more modern buildings was something that I actually enjoyed. There was also a gentleman there doing Tai Chi (see picture), which I found very relaxing just to watch.

My advice would be this --- enjoy the garden for what it is - some of the reviews have been so bogged down with comments about the TV (gee folks, it’s not like cartoons are on, it’s educational info) and gardening tools that can be seen, that they fail to appreciate the beauty of it. The tour we joined with was a bit lengthy, but it was very informative and entertaining. If you focus on the meaning of the written passages throughout the garden, the beautiful landscaping and enjoy some tea at the tea house, you will enjoy this place.

TIP --- If you go with a little one, be sure to ask for the scavenger hunt sheets. That definitely helped keep my little one entertained!

Visited June 2011
1 Thank Hendersongal
Spokane, WA
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Very Authentic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We took a guided tour of the garden and our guide was very knowledgeable. My husband was in China for 3 weeks two years ago and he said that this garden was very similar to some he saw there. It is beautiful and peaceful, although smaller than I had imagined. We had tea and steamed buns at the tea house and both were delicious and surprisingly value-priced. We gained entry through the Portland Attractions Pass, which is a great deal.

1 Thank SpokaneMom
Jackson, New Jersey
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Peaceful and Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I found this garden to be a peaceful and relaxing oasis in the middle of the city. If there is a blasting TV, it must not have been on when I was visiting or I was oblivious to it. It was a nice way to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday morning.

Visited May 2011
2 Thank sunnyday1k

Been to Lan Su Chinese Garden? Share your experiences!