“Unique reasonably priced dinner”

Frank's Noodle House
Ranked #189 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Lot's of traditional asian dishes on the menu, but the noodle dishes were the most unique in terms of flavor and homemade noodles. They could have put more meat/shrimp in the dishes though. Pot Stickers not particularly good. Nice touch that you can choose 1-4 on spiciness. I chose 4 and it wasn't too crazy hot.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Have been here twice. Both times got noodle dishes and love the thick, delicious noodles. Seafood one time, chicken the other. For the price - I thought was very good.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

My wife and I wanted to try Du Kuh Bee in Beaverton, but the co-owner who made the house-made noodles moved on before we had a chance. So we were pleased to hear that he started Frank's Noodle House, and looked forward to the opportunity to try his new establishment.

There's no parking lot at the Broadway location. We found street parking half a block away on a side street.

Frank was manning the front desk when we arrived for lunch. We were seated immediately in the downstairs dining area where there are ten tables; nine seating four each, and one seating two. The dining area is cozy, but clean and classy with a darker hardwood floor. To protect the floor, the dining area chairs have tennis balls on each legs--quirky but it works and really eliminates the sound of chairs screeching across the floor.

Service was prompt and efficient. We both ordered lunch specials of the house-made noodles, plus the house-made pork and chive dumplings. Lunch includes your choice of hot and sour or egg flour soup. A nice extra touch was the two small dishes of Korean kim chees, which were both very good.

The house-made noodles may be ordered in one of four spiciness levels. Heat-intolerant diners take note: "three" and "four" were respectable levels of spiciness. I like spicy food (sriracha sauce is an endangered species in our house) and I found Level Two was the right level for me: enough to generate a nice amount of heat but not to a point where I'm chugging water every <x> number of mouthfuls to stay comfortable.

The dumplings were very good, and come with a soy sauce-based dipping sauce. The house-made noodles are a must-try item for everyone. Our two servings were delivered to our table separately--but more importantly, they were delivered ripping-hot, right out of the wok, which is the way we really like our Asian food served. Just the right amount of sauce on the noodles, and a delicious delight for lunch.

The only ding to the food: the squid in my noodles were overcooked and on the rubbery side. I would opt for one of the other choices next time, namely chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp.

We were in and out of there in 30 minutes despite them being at nearly-full capacity. Prices are reasonable for a sit-down dining establishment with this quality of food.

We definitely will go back when we can, and try some of the other menu items.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I loved this place, the noodles were incredible and I am very picky about Chinese food. We ordered the pork dumplings and salad rolls to start, they came very quickly and were delicious. We had to try the noodles and both of us dining got a stir fry noodle dish. I got the pork belly, my only complaint was that there could have been more meat in the dish, although thr focus was the noodles and rightly so. The atmosphere is very interesting as it is literally in a house and if you go upstairs you sit in different rooms in the house, which feels a little strange. I found myself craving these the next day, can't wait to go back to Portland and return! Great find!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I think this might be a case of TV exposure being a bad thing.
We were in Portland for a concert and decided to try Frank's after watching the DDD TV episode. It was a Saturday night and we didn't want to have to wait outside in the cold so we went early. Well, 4:30 was too early as they don't open until 5 pm. We saw a half a dozen couples walk up to the door and then turn around and leave for the same reason. When they finally opened it was very chaotic. People crowded around inside the door waiting to be seated with the front door of the small house open the entire time. It was a very cold and windy evening. Very cold inside. We sat downstairs. Everyone was sitting with jackets and hats. The waitress actually commented that she would take our order when we could finally get our waters.
Apparently in this small space they can only cook one single order at a time as I watched each table receiving their order that way. My (Asian) wife ordered noodles with squid and I ordered noodles with pork belly.
They eventually dropped off two small bowls with (Chinese?) kimchee and what looked like daikon. They just dropped them on the table without bothering to tell us what they were. We knew, but I'm sure many people would not.
My wife got her plate first and I sat there and just watched her eat without my plate. Other plates were brought out while I sat there and waited. I could tell immediately my wife did not like her food. She asked for ZERO spice and got a pretty spicy dish with squid that was very "fishy" and did not taste good.
I finally got my dish and was taken back at how hard it was to just cut the noodles into a manageable size. They were VERY tough and chewy. If they were just tough they would have been better. I ordered #1 spice and got a blander dish than my wife. When I ordered pork belly I expected pork belly. Instead I got a few slivers of nondescript "white" meat that nobody would have recognized as pork belly; with absolutely no flavor. While my wife's dish was too spicy, mine was way too salty. Seriously salty. We both decided we made a mistake and pushed our nearly full plates to the front of the table. Our waitress never noticed we were not eating our food, and our plates were on the other side of the table, while she walked by many times. Finally Frank asked how was our food and we told him. We left without eating and went somewhere else.
I think they just cannot handle so many customers at once and are overwhelmed.
Their food suffers for it.