“Excellent ice cream. Go here at once.”

Cool Moon Ice Cream
Ranked #16 of 128 Dessert in Portland
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I had not heard anything about this store before we stopped in on a whim. Both me and my husband had the sundae. I was impressed with the selection of ice cream. So you can drool, I had the fiery chocolate (nice chocolate flavour with a little heat) and salty caramel (perfect balance of salty and sweet) ice creams, with the house made bittersweet fudge, whipped cream and pecans. It was delicious. My husband had salty caramel and something fruit for ice cream, with the strawberry sauce, hazelnuts, whipped cream and a cherry on top. It came to about $12. We both felt it was totally worth it. We also ogled their ice cream pumpkin pies. Such a cool little place, I wish we lived closer!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were in Portland for one week and probably had this ice cream at least 3 times. The salty carmel is amazing!! I couldn't get enough of it! They have quit a few odd favors (pumpkin pie actually tasted like pie!), but they also have some regular flavors too for those less adventurous. I'd definitely make a stop here if you're in town.

Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Cool Moon has a variety of flavors I haven't tasted before. The salty caramel was phenomenal! So much so I came the next day for seconds! Husband really liked the Belgian chocolate, and their nutty peanut butter was also great. The ice cream is fresh and has great texture, and the service kind and patient. They even give a 5% discount when you pay in cash - a nice touch. I recommend taking your tasty cone to the park across the street and watch all the neighborhood dogs splash the water fountain.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I wouldn't say it's the best ice cream I've ever had, but it was pretty darn good. I had heard about the Salty Caramel, so I tried it and loved it! It wasn't too salty and was very creamy. Having said that, the service here was decent, but not particularly friendly (although they were busy). The scoops weren't very big and if you wanted more than one, I'm not sure how you would do it in a bowl because the bowls were so small. They ran out of a few flavors, too.

We tried this and Molly Moon Ice Cream in Seattle within a few days of each other and I have to say that Molly Moon wins hands down. They had better service, better ice cream, and a better experience overall. You got a lot more for the money and they catered more to the customers, too.

(I would still try the salty caramel, though.) ;)

Reviewed August 10, 2012

In the winter months I crave their spicy Thai peanut. Yes I said spicy Thai peanut! I know your probably thinking I am nuts right? Who could possibly imagine a spicy ice cream could be so amazing. It is unbelievable creamy, spicy and crunchy.

In the summer I crave a more of a fruity or light affair. Their banana ice cream is smooth creamy and tastes fresh ripened bananas. The best summer flavor they offer is Lavender and Lemon. So tart and sweet and the lavender gives it a perfect earthy blend. They offer as many samples of flavors to try. So I encourage you to find your mix. Nothing is better then homemade fresh ice cream.