“Delicious vegan food”

Ranked #392 of 4,404 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 12th
Transit: Bus routes 70 and 4 stop right in front, the 9 is three blocks South.
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Everyone in our party of 4 (I was the only vegan) enjoyed the food. We had an 8:30 reservation and they were out of two dishes by the time we ordered, so we will go earlier next time. Service was laid back but just right for the atmosphere.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Wow! We had been hearing about this vegan restaurant for days before we took the step to finally drive over. It is worth the trip. The atmosphere is casual with booths and very popular so get there early. We decided to get there when they opened on the weekend since there are no reservations. There is a cool beer brewery next door to keep you busy if you get there very early. Beer is a big thing in Portland and everyone brews their own.

Our family joined us for the most delicious vegan dinner I have ever seen. Anyone would enjoy the food since it is very creative and tasty. We are life long vegetarians and never have many options so it was hard to choose especially since we were leaving town and would not be back soon enough. Portland is a foodie spot and has the most healthy looking people you will ever run across. Our daughter is vegan and lives in Portland so I was a little concerned that we would not find the right spot to eat to keep her family happy.

We totally enjoyed everything about including the value!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I'd give this lovely place 5 stars if it wasnt for the absolutely terrible service we received. We had appetizers, a main dish and dessert. Each course took 30 minutes to come. We were at the restaurant for 2 hours because the service was so slow.

My friend is allergic to mushrooms and asked if their burgers had mushrooms. The waiter went to check and came back 15 minutes later to say there were no mushrooms. So she ordered the burger. 15 more minutes and the waiter comes back to say, the burgers indeed have mushrooms in them. So my friend had to change the order. Then we waited 30 more minutes for the food to appear.

I ordered a small plate, but received a large by mistake. Luckily they only charged me for a small.

When the check came, there was an item called "Bistro $10", when asked what that was, the waiter said "Oh that's nothing, ill remove it", and snatched the check away! If we hadnt noticed, we'd have been charged $10 extra!!

The service was cold, unfriendly and terribly slow and careless. Its a pity, because this is a beautiful restaurant with superb vegan food.

We had sauteed crimini mushrooms, watermelon cucumber salad, gnocchi, smoked eggplant ragout over papradelle, chocolate sorbet and chocolate mousse. All of which were incredibly delicious!

Portobello is definitely the best vegan food I've ever eaten. Too bad about the crappy service.

1  Thank salanator
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My friends and I enjoy this restaurant. We plan to go to this restaurant next weekend. The food is original and great! The menu changes - always a great surprise when I visit there. My father who ran a meat company all his life ate at this restaurant. He was extremely impressed. Book reservations ahead of time. The restaurant's bartender also has creative ideas for drinks.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I went here for my birthday and was excited to have another restaurant option to add to my vegetarian diet. We ordered the mushroom fries (excellent) and the heirloom tomato salad (very good). For entrees, the portobello steak was excellent. It was served with a pan friend polenta cake, kale, and a chimchurri sauce. My only complaint with this dish is that the sauce could have been a little spicier. We also ordered the gnocchi, which was served with various vegetables. Dessert was a little less appealing. The tiramisu was very heavy and dense, and one-dimensional in flavor. It lacked strong cocoa and creamy flavors. I'm not sure why the chef didn't use the coconut whipped cream in this dessert-- it would have been wonderful. The praline chocolate mousse was very interesting and a good summer dessert. Loved the coconut milk whipped cream!

The restaurant itself is very noisy, even when we were seated in something called their "Bliss Booth". I would recommend sitting outside if you are looking for a quiet meal where you don't have talk loudly.

We will definitely visit again, and I'm excited to try more dishes!