“A great pizza experience”

Lovely's Fifty Fifty
Ranked #334 of 4,343 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Pizza
San Diego, California
“A great pizza experience”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My wife and I are in Portland on vacation and saw some favorable reviews for this place on other websites. Have to say it was awesome. I'm mostly a meat lover, so a lot of what was on the menu today wasn't exactly up my alley. Most have a meat with a green or two, but these folks know what they are doing. My 4 year old had a cheese pizza and we added copa (it was good), mine came out next, a home made sausage with chard, it was real good, then my wife's came out nettles with taleggio and panchetta (OMG) this was amazing. Then to finish it off with their salted caramel ice cream, again OMG.

Please go to support these folks, so I can make sure they are still here when I come back next year!!!

• Visited April 2011

Oregon
“You have to be kidding me!!!!”
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Seriously, is this place for real? I sure hope they don't tweak with what they have going here. We wondered if the slightly off path location (we normally don't go that far north for dinner and Mississippi is on the upward swing of gentrification) is helping keep the prices reasonable.

Six dollars for a childrens' pizza and the $13 for the Rapini pizza was exceptionally reasonable. My wife and I shared a single pizza and a salad. If you come hungry, I could see a pizza per person with some tinfoil in tow when you leave. How good are these pizzas? A perfect balance of salt, flavors; and the crust is sublime. It's thin crust, but with the right amount of char and it's amazingly flavorful. Our two young boys were surprised with how good it was. We just kept talking about how the tomato sauce anchored each of our pizzas and really left these pies in their own category.

PLEASE don't miss the raddichio caesar salad. Not only is it stunning to the eye , but the combination of garlic, olive oil, anchovy, and lots and lots of Parmesan cheese and homemade croutons makes this the perfect way to begin your meal. The texture was also very interesting as every part of the salad was crunchy--nothing worse than a soggy salad.

As if the one-two punch of the salad and pizza weren't enough, the stories of homemade ice cream caught our attention and we felt compelled to try the grapefruit sorbet and malted milk ball. Who are these people? Served up in homemade waffle cones...of course.

We were sick of making our way up to Portland over a weekend and wishing Ken's Pizza was open on Sunday...nothing to worry about now after we overwhelmed our taste buds and walked out with a bill in pocket proving culinary perfection can be attained for a family of four with minimal financial pain.

If you can, do your best to get there right after they open so you don't have to wait for too long. It looked like the place fills up pretty quickly on a Sunday night.

• Visited March 2011
Santa Ana, CA
“Best pizza in Portland, maybe the best in the USA, great ice cream too”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

It's only open Tuesday through Sunday, 5-10 PM. Unless you arrive early, you will wait for a table. And be glad you did, because you can have some ice cream while you wait. It runs about $25 a person for a pizza and salad apiece, plus ice cream (drinks, tip excluded). There is street parking available (curb your wheels). It's nice inside; clean and simple, with some nice touches. The wine list is not extensive, but it is particularly well-chosen.

I'm a pizza lover, and I do not make statements like "the best pizza" lightly.

Lovely's Fifty Fifty made the best pizza I've had in years, and no other pizza I've eaten in the past 10 years has come close.

I might even visit Portland again JUST to have more Fifty Fifty. It's tough to believe that I'm the first to review this place.

By the way, I've been to New York city several times, and eaten at the so-called great places (except Grimaldi's) and folks who say New York has the best pizza are simply, well, deluding themselves. No kidding-when I visit NYC, I have at least one serving of pizza every day, and two when I can (from different venues), so I've eaten gutfuls of New York pie; I'm still looking for the epiphany, but a pleasant surprise would be nice too.

Lovely's Fifty Fifty makes classic Neopolitan pizza, with a thin crust. Want gooey gobs of cheese and masses of crust-obscuring toppings? Go someplace else.

I started with a cold corn soup that was quite flavorful, but perhaps a little heavy on the pesto and I followed that with a pickled beet salad. The salad was pretty good, but kind of small for $8.

For dessert, I had peach ice cream in a cone; simply divine. The cone was crunchy and a touch too sweet, and the ice cream was perfectly textured, with clean, pure flavor.

The handmade ice cream alone makes it worth a visit. The ice creams here are made by hand, using incredibly flavorful fresh ingredients. Save room for dessert!

But the pizza...holy smokes.

I had a margherita with calabrian chiles, and I think it was about $13, which is a pretty good deal for artisan pizza.

The crust (which is of course the most important part of a pizza) was simply perfect. Very thin (but ever so slightly thicker than is usual for artisan Neopolitan pie), with actual flavor, and cooked to perfection. The balance of crunch and chew was sublime, and (unlike, say, Ken's in Portland) the crust did not get a little too floppy in the center.

The fresh mozzarella, basil, and sauce were a perfectly balanced combination.

There was a couple of tiny problems. They ran out of sparkling water (hot weekend) and the tap water was pretty crappy. The server was helpful, but not particularly attentive. The bathroom is quirkily located in a building next door, and you need grab the key that electronically unlocks the door to the building. It's at the ice cream counter.

Now go to Portland and eat some pizza already!