“Owner/Chef with an attitude”
Review of Gilda's

Gilda's
Ranked #182 of 4,364 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: SW 16th Ave
Transit: We are located right off the MAX transit line, just a couple blocks from Jeld-Wen Stadium.
Description: Owner and head chef, Marco Roberti, has recently returned to Portland, Oregon after graduating from culinary school in Florence, Italy to open his dream-come-true restaurant named for his grandmother. The food is fantastic, the prices are very reasonable, and the atmosphere is authentically quaint...complete with a little Italian man serenading on his violin from the corner of the small dining room! Check it out for either lunch or dinner...it's sure to be well worth it!
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have had dinner at Gilda’s at least five times and were always very happy with the ambience, food and service. Not so on our last visit on Friday March 15th. We had a reservation for 5:30, made through Open Table and in the reservation we requested to be checked out by 7 PM as we had a play at ART. We were the second table to be seated that evening and ordered two salads and two main dishes. AS we waited for the salads we noticed that patrons who had arrived after us had already their appetizers and salads. Especially a couple next to us, who arrived about 10 minutes after us got their salad almost immediately after ordering. Still waiting we asked our waitress what was going on and she replied that she had put our salad order in at the earliest opportunity and that she would check. A few minutes later she brought our salads. Next we were waiting for our main courses. Again, our neighbor table and two others got served before us and again we had to ask the waitress what was going on, reminding her that we had a hard stop at 7 PM. It took a few more minutes before we finally got our dinner, 45 minutes after getting seated. Our table neighbors were already half done with their main course by the time we got ours dinner. By the time we were done eating there was no time left for dessert, given the slow food service we were experiencing. We asked for the General Manager and she came and apologized, even took the salads off our bill and when we told her how unhappy we were with the slow food service she offered to take over the entire bill. We refused as the food was excellent as usual. On the way out the owner/chef asked me in a very uncaring manner “what the problem was”. I explained that we got our salads and main dishes much later than people who arrived at the restaurant after us and that I thought it was first come first serve. He almost became hostile lecturing me that it took 20 minutes to get our salads and another 20 minutes to get our main dishes and that ”is acceptable” . I reminded him about our time restriction, the fact that other tables got served food before us which lead him to the comment that “we should eat at McDonalds instead”. Now that added insult to injury and we left the restaurant and will not return. There are many other restaurants where the owner and chef does not have such a customer unfriendly attitude and those will get our business.

2  Thank Wolfgang D
There are newer reviews for Gilda's

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I chose Gilda's for dinner after seeing War Horse. I read reviews on here and thought it would be a good choice. The location is kind of in between as it is near the soccer stadium but not really in the restaurant rich areas of downtown, the pearl or northwest. The place is kind of small and might need a bit of updating on decor. We were seated immediately though we were early for our reservation. Our server was very helpful, friendly and seemed to be a professional server. We ordered wine from a pretty decent Italian wine list and were told of the specials. We settled on a chicken saltimbocca, the spaghetti and meatballs and the special tagliatelle with sausage. We chose a housemade mozzarella and prosciutto appetizer that was delicious. Our entrees came with only a short wait and each dish was amazing. Very fresh ingredients, rich sauces and very flavorful. We ended with some espresso and a chocolate cake with amaretto cookie crumbles. The service was great, the food delicious. I would highly recommend this place and will definitely be back.

1  Thank Stew M
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Liked the reviews of this place so we gave it a try. It was crowded early on a Saturday night. This resulted in somewhat slow service and longer than desired times for the food to arrive. But each of the courses were tasty and we left satisfied with our choice of restaraunts for the evening.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Gilda's was a small restaurant and it was cozy and inviting. The food was wonderful and full of flavor. All of the people in my party enjoyed their food. Their mash potatoes were the best mash potatoes I have ever had! Overall I would recommend this place to anyone and plan on returning when I go back to Portland.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Six of us enjoyed great Italian food at Gilda's in Portland. The home-made pasta was the best I've had and my dinner companions raved about the veal. It's a very pretty place, with a picture of the chef's grandmother Gilda providing inspiration. This was my first visit, but certainly not the last. We all loved it.