“Great Breakfasts”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Cafe
Portland, Oregon
“Great Breakfasts”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

There isn't anything on the breakfast menu I don't like. Unique dishes, but they will make the usual (eggs, bacon, sausage, fried potatoes) for you. The French Toast is marvelous. The West Virginia biscuits can be substituted for the regular toast.
The biscuits and gravy are great. It's all good!

Visited July 2014

“The food was excellent!!!”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is my first time to Portland and we wanted a good place for breakfast. My husband used tripadvisor and this is one place that popped up. Tripadvisor did not steer us wrong. The place was a little quirkie and the service wasn't anything special, but the food was excellent!!! My husband & I both had the artichoke scrambles with breakfast potatoes and biscuits and gravy. The portions were just about right... Maybe a little more than we needed, but we couldn't put our forks down until our plates were empty. The coffee was self-serve and excellent as well. Our bill was $25. It was well worth it.

Peripatetic: you name it
“Great little cafe with fab breakfast food, no wait!”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is a small, cozy cafe with lots of light and a nice community, family-friendly feeling (but not totally focused on/overwhelmed by kids either). Menu had some great egg dishes on it (scrambles etc.) with interesting and classic combos of veggies and meats, and the biscuits were GREAT: flaky, not too greasy, just the right size to indulge without feeling like you were faced with a cake-sized pastry. Biscuits and gravy were also good: nice sausage in the gravy, good balance between gravy and biscuits, and good balance of salt (sometimes the gravy can get too salty--not so here). Laid back, sunny, friendly place. We went at 10 am on a Sunday recently and sat right down. I can't imagine that lack-of-wait will last for long in breakfast-obsessed Portland, but one of the great things about the place is that it feels like it's focused on serving the folks who walk over from their homes nearby, and doing so with care, rather than trying to impress all of Portland. Thus, the meals hit the spot. Recommended.

• Visited June 2012
Milwaukie, Oregon
“Absolutely The Best Sandwich Ever”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stumbled upon the Eclectic Kitchen when out running errands. I had the Roasted Vegetable Sandwich on a sourdough toasted roll. The veggies were in a cream aioli sauce that was a number 10. There was also included, a choice of green salad or broccoli cole slaw. I went for the cole slaw and was not disappointed. The sandwich was so good that I came back the next day to have another. On the second day my friend ordered a breakfast of scramble eggs with artichokes and she was extremely pleased with her choice. It was served with a generous amount of roasted potatoes and a "cream" biscuit which she shared with me. The cream biscuit was as lite as air and tasted delicious with a half of a pat of butter. The folks that own and operate are extremely pleasant and very helpful explaining anything that we asked about the food. Please go - you will love it. They have a wide variety of choices for breakfast or lunch and all the cafe drinks you care to have. I might go back tomorrow. Can't get enough of the Roased Veggie Sandwich.

• Visited July 2011
“The Turkey Bacon Sandwich I got was good. The bread was nice, although the crust a little hard. The turkey was nicely...”
Reviewed July 25, 2010

The Turkey Bacon Sandwich I got was good. The bread was nice, although the crust a little hard. The turkey was nicely done, not being dry in the least. Having basil instead of lettuce as the vegetable topping was a brilliant idea. One complaint, though, if I ask for the ranch dressing "on the side," that probably means I don't want mayo on the sandwich, either. At least ask before you go ahead and slather the may. That being said, the to-go order came with a nice little salad, which was a pleasant surprise.