“Incredible service from the waiter, sufficient menu”
Review of Chez Joly - CLOSED

Chez Joly
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This restaurant has been in business in Portland since 1991. I dinned last week-end and I want to review it.
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We had a wonderful waiter on a Saturday night who was very, very attentive and yet always left us feeling like we were in conversation with him about what we wanted or needed. He never hovered but we were never left thinking, "Where is my drink?" or feeling forgotten.

The food was good; We had the tartes aux tomates for an appetizer and loved the blend of tastes of goat cheese and tomatoes. I ordered the pan seared salmon and it was very good. My wife ordered the filet mignon and was pleased.

But,more than anything, what stands out was how excellent the server was. He made the experience just by being very interested in giving us what we needed and explaining well the tastes and textures of various foods and dishes.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I were in the mood for French cuisine as we have been craving it since our visit to Paris last Spring. We happened to find Chez Joly while on a trip to Portland. It has all the charm of a French Bistro and the food was simply delicious ! We had the $25 pre-fixe dinner which included a large salad , entree of Fisherman's stew or beef bourguignon and the sublime fig tart with caramel and Chantilly creme all for $25 ! We were in heaven ! Add a Kir Royal and a glass of Cote du Rhone and Cappucinos with dessert and we felt like we in Paris all over again ! This place is a bargain we will be back whenever we are in Portland.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

Some friends asked us to join them for Happy Hour apps. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere was Great. I can't speak to their regular menu, but if its as good as the happy hour appetizers the "wow".
At our table (and consequently tasted) we had:
-French Onion Soup (I've never had better)
-Green Salad (good, but not overly special)
-Escargots (WOW)
-Artichoke/Spinach Fondue (basically a dip with toast corners - tasty but fairly common)
-Pate Plate (incredible)
-Cheese Plate (Very nice)
We also enjoyed a good pour of the house wine (well selected).
It's a give in that we will be back.