“Great day in the Pearl!”

Forktown Food Tours
$89.00*
Portland's Division Street Food Tour
Ranked #3 of 85 Food & Drink in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us on our guided, culinary walking tours and taste your way through some of Portland's most delicious neighborhoods from fine dining to food carts. Friendly guides make it fun, sharing stories of local culture and history, while you sample some of the best food in town. On all of our tours, we make 6-7 stops featuring casual eateries, higher end restaurants, a food cart, an educational stop, and a dessert location that reflect the way we eat in Portland. On tour, you may sample local craft beer, seasonal small plates, cocktails, tiny artisan cookies, micro-batch coffee, food cart goodness, and more, made with the ingredients & creativity that Oregon is famous for. You'll get the stories behind the tastes with your expert culinary guide. We offer tours in three of the city's greatest neighborhoods! Alphabet District Tour: Friday afternoons. Mississippi Ave Tour: Saturday & Sunday afternoons. Downtown & The Pearl District Tour, Thursday and Saturday afternoons. Our tour schedule varies seasonally, so please check our website for more details and to buy tickets!
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Wonderful tour! We are from PDX, and really enjoyed our day! Nice combo of visits to food carts and restaurants. Great variety of foods and drinks; savory, sweets, wine, beer, cocktails and hot chocolate treat. Pace was relaxed and enjoyable. Winner!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

When we signed up for Forktown Food Tours’ afternoon in Portland’s Alphabet District (a.k.a. “Slabtown,” a.k.a. the “Trendy-third” neighborhood), I never dreamed I’d come away saying the high point of the tour for me was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

We met Heidi outside Besaw’s, a restaurant that began life as a Slabtown saloon in 1903.
First up? A green salad, studded with dried cranberry and carrot, paired with pear reduction mimosas -- a nice, light start.

After this treat, my heart sank a little when Heidi told us we were headed to a Jewish deli for Ruben sandwiches. Now, don’t get me wrong — on a food tour, I’m up for pretty much anything. But in the land of sandwiches, Rubens have got to be my least favorite. When someone says “Ruben sandwich!” I invariably think of soggy rye bread sopped in kraut juice and dry pastrami.

I couldn’t have been more wrong! In fact, Kenny and Zuke’s deli served up one of the most amazing bites — a Ruben featuring homemade bread, succulent “beef plate” (think pork belly, but from a cow), just enough mild sour kraut to give the sandwich some bite, and creamy dressing.

After this, we hit a delightful French bakery for chouquettes (little balls of baked dough sporting crystals of sugar and salt), a distillery for samples of the local spirits, a local bakery specializing in tiny cookies, and Wildwood, for a cup of brilliant French onion soup and a slice of pizza.

But my favorite stop? The grilled PB&J from PBJ's Grilled.

Now, before you think I’ve gone off my rocker, let me clarify: the folks in this food cart aren’t smearing some Jif and Welch’s on Wonderbread and chasing it around on a greasy grill. No. Instead, on a foundation of hand-crafted local bread, they’re adding orange marmalade, sirracha hot sauce, fresh basil, curry, and homemade peanut butter to produce masterpieces like the Spicy Thai PB&J. These sandwiches have to be tried to be believed.

Heidi made a great host, and it's clear she's loved and respected by every owner we met at every stop. She has that insider angle that you can't fake … and her pride in the places she introduces you to really shines through. Recommended!

1  Thank MadeByMark
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My first food tour, but certainly not my last! My wife surprised me with this during our trip to the Pacific Northwest and we really enjoyed it. A couple days later we did another in Seattle, at Pikes Fishmarket and it was a little disappointing, after the great experience in portland. Kelsey was our food tourist and she was OUT OF THIS WORLD AWESOME! The tour was intimate, and our host full of history and a strong passion for talking about the fantastic foods we ate. We took the tour on N. Mississippi Ave.; the portion size and quality of the food and drinks were second to none. I'd recommend anyone to take this tour. It was such a fantastic experience. -DMB

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Keira led a very interesting and informative tour of the N Mississippi Food District, giving lots of history and insights for the neighborhood, the restaurants we visited, and the food and drinks that we tried. By the end of the 3-hr tour, after 5 eateries, one lounge, and 1 salt/chocolate boutique, we were more than satiated. The rain also held off for most of the tour!! Our favorites were the Thai, burger, and ice cream places. The tour of the recycling center was an added bonus. Would recommend it for couples and foodies.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have a great big family who live all over the place and someone is always coming to visit. I never let any one of them leave without a forktown tour. I have been on all three with three different guides and have had such a great experience each time. My guests learn about Portland while also enjoying the food and drink of this great city. As a newbie to portland (only been here 7 months myself), i learn something new each time.
Put it on your list!