“Food tour on February 9, 2013”

Forktown Food Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$89.00*
and up
Downtown Portland Food Tour
Ranked #6 of 92 Food & Drink in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us on our guided, culinary walking tours and taste your way through some of Portland's most delicious neighborhoods from fine dining to food carts. Friendly guides make it fun, sharing stories of local culture and history, while you sample some of the best food in town. On all of our tours, we make 6-7 stops featuring casual eateries, higher end restaurants, a food cart, an educational stop, and a dessert location that reflect the way we eat in Portland. On tour, you may sample local craft beer, seasonal small plates, cocktails, tiny artisan cookies, micro-batch coffee, food cart goodness, and more, made with the ingredients & creativity that Oregon is famous for. You'll get the stories behind the tastes with your expert culinary guide. We offer tours in three of the city's greatest neighborhoods! Alphabet District Tour: Friday afternoons. Mississippi Ave Tour: Saturday & Sunday afternoons. Downtown & The Pearl District Tour, Thursday and Saturday afternoons. Our tour schedule varies seasonally, so please check our website for more details and to buy tickets!
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Along with eight other fellow travelers,my wife and I spent three wonderful hours exploring some of the known and unknown culinary treasures in Portland. Our guide, Benjy, was extremely knowledgable about the seven distinct and very unique places we visited as well as the past, present and future of the Portland food scene. At each of the seven locations we visited, the food/beverage establishment welcomed us warmly and put their best foot forward. It was a great day and the tour introduced us to a side of Portland that we had not experienced in the sixteen years that we have lived here. I would highly encourage locals and out-of-towners alike to take this tour.

Jessica and Hei... F, Owner at Forktown Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your tour this past weekend. We are so glad you had a wonderful time exploring the restaurants, the food cart, the distillery, and the bakeries among other places in the always fun Alphabet District. And we are delighted you enjoyed your guide Benji and his knowledge of the Portland culinary scene (we think he's fantastic as well!). We certainly hope to host you and your husband again sometime soon on our N Mississippi Avenue tour or one of our new tours coming up this summer. Stay tuned and thanks again for the kind review!

Jessica & Heidi

in 8 reviews
"an excellent guide"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I just finished the James Beard Love to Eat Tour, and we certainly understand why it is ranked the #1 activity in Portland. Heidi was a perfect tour guide, sharing all kinds of interesting facts about the establishments, keeping us moving along without rushing us and always having a most pleasant smile. This was a very balanced tour of light appetizers and a salad, alcoholic beverages, small delicious sandwiches and great treats. We ate at a very fine restaurant, a food cart and everything in between. This particular tour may not be available as it was coupled with the theatre production of "I Love to Eat". There is the possibility that it exists under a different title. We highly recommend these tours and are looking forward to booking a future one with them.

Jessica and Hei... F, Owner at Forktown Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Wow, thanks for the very kind review! We had a great time taking you and your husband to explore great food and drink and discover more about our very own foodie son James Beard in NW Portland, and glad you enjoyed and found the presentation interesting. This James Beard themed tour is a version of our regularly scheduled Alphabet District tour, so everyone who didn't come on the "I Love to Eat' package can still experience those same venues (albeit without such a strong emphasis on Mr. Beard). We will be launching new tours this summer, and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Heidi & Jessica

Reviewed January 25, 2013

A friend and I took the Portland Loves To Eat culinary tour on January 18th prior to attending the I Love To Eat play about James Beard. Heidi was fantastic, both knowledgable and personable. We had a wonderful experience and discovered 7 outstanding eating/drinking establishments; Wildwood Restaurant, Bull Run Distilling Company, Besaw's, Kenny & Zukes, Saint Honore Boulangerie, PBJs Grilled and Two Tarts Bakery. Thanks Heidi for the fun and delicious afternoon. I highly recommend Forktown Food Tours and I plan to be a return customer.

First we'd like to thank you for such a lovely review! And second, you are more than welcome. It was such a pleasure to take you through our "I Love to Eat" culinary tour; we are so glad you enjoyed yourself and hope you enjoyed the theater experience equally as well (wasn't the actor Rob Nagle quite the embodiment of James Beard?). We'd love to have you back any time, please come visit us again--we will have several new tours coming up this summer to choose from. Stay in touch and we'll see you again soon.

Heidi & Jessica

Reviewed January 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent NYE / my birthday weekend in Portland and we had the best time with Forktown Food Tours (Heidi was our lovely guide). We visited 6 different locations ranging from Thai to food trucks to wine and everything in between. Heidi shared Portland history specifically regarding the area (Mississippi Ave) and continued our culinary experience with recommendations to breweries and confirming our NYE dinner was a great choice. The conversation was easy amongst the group and the food was delicious. The tour ended with ice cream sandwiches (lemon and lavender, my favorite) and we couldn't have been happier.

Forktown stops:
Mee Sen Thai Eatery
Little Big Burger
Sidecar 11
Koi Fusion
The Meadow
Ruby Jewel

Thank you for the kind review! We had a blast taking you and your boyfriend to discover this gem of a neighborhood. Mississippi Avenue is always a good time, and we are so glad you had fun while on tour with us. We hope your NYE dinner was fantastic (Genoa, wasn't it? Yum!), and hope maybe we will get to see you again sometime in the New Year. We'll have lots more tours to choose from this summer. PS the lavender honey ice cream is my favorite too!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband, 16 year old son and I enjoyed a wonderful pre-holiday outing with Heidi on a Forktown Food Tour. It was my husband and son’s first time on a food tour. They were not sure what to expect, but trusted me and their love of food and agreed to join me. We met Heidi at Mee Sen Thai Eatery on N. Mississippi to start our outing. Heidi was very personable and had great background in the tourism and food industry. She shared her knowledge and passion for this wonderfully revitalized neighborhood. It had been 20+ years since I had been on N. Mississippi-what remarkable changes have taken place. We loved getting all of the history on the changes as well as sampling all the wonderful food. My 16 year old son ate until his heart was content. Heidi gave us recommendations of where to go in town to enjoy more food and beer. We loved Meadows the chocolate and salt store. Per, Heidi’s recommendation we purchased some of the truffle salt. She suggested that sprinkling some on grilled cheese took grilled cheese to the next level-YUMMY!! She did not lie. I think our whole family would highly recommend joining Heidi on a Forktown Food Tour. A very fun, unique way to spend an afternoon-Thank you Heidi for being such a great guide.

Jessica and Hei... F, Owner at Forktown Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We were delighted to take you and your family on a tour with us...after 20 years, MIssissippi Avenue has really changed and it was so much fun to share the history behind these great new changes on the street. We were also glad to take your food tour 'newbies' out for a taste of what this great neighborhood has to offer. We hope you have a great new year and hope to see you again on another Forktown Food Tour!