“Excellent food. Great value.”
Review of Swiss Hibiscus

Swiss Hibiscus
Ranked #144 of 4,473 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: German, Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We serve authentic Swiss cuisine made-to-order, with the freshest, highest quality ingredients. Taught and inspired by Swiss Chef Martin Wyss of the former Swiss Inn in Honolulu, HI.
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Per our reservation, we arrived with a party of five adults and two children in high chairs. The waitstaff and owner could not have been nicer. We ordered a wonderful bottle of Swiss wine from Neuchatelle (not always available) and a selection of apps: sautéed mushrooms and escargots with fresh bread. The salads which followed were crisp and fresh with a special dressing invented by the owner's father. Wiener schnitzel, goulash and a vegetarian lentil stew arrived hot and tasty. Spaetzle and roesti made the main courses even more special. Desserts were passed around the table and consisted of refreshing ice cream sandwiches and eis kaffee with real whipped cream. Throughout the meal, the servers and owners stopped by the see that all was well and to chat. We never felt rushed and enjoyed a wonderful relaxed meal.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

The fusion between Swiss and Hawaiian cultures works perfectly. The variety of dishes along with exceptional services make this a local favorite. It is great to have a different option in this neighborhood.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

What a pleasant surprise! I expected good food because the reviews on TripAdvisor was glowing, but it was so fabulous, I find myself here to rave about Cafe Hibiscus myself!

The food is Swiss. Made with aloha by a gifted Hawaiian chef who left Oahu for Portland. What a loss for Honolulu!

The menu is small, which is nice because it is a bit overwhelming when trying out a new type of food. We had the Paprika Schnitzel and Spatzli (which was tender pork cutlet in a paprika, mushroom, cream sauce), Goulash and spatzli and Rosti Valaissane (hashbrowns covered in cheese and some delicious sauce). Spatzli is a type of highly seasoned noodle. The salad came with the house dressing, which I believe is becoming rather famous.

We also had homemade ice cream sundae. WOW. The Swiss chocolate sauce! WOW.

Our three yr old daughter loved the food. She is generally a picky eater, but really ate amazingly well here. They had nice toys and coloring books too.

Oh goodness the food was so good! We were in awe. They restaurant wasn't very busy. I was surprised, but I bet that once this place is discovered then it will be so busy that you will need a reservation.

Lastly, I will tell you that the service was delightful. Impeccable. Tammy was so considerate, great at helping us chose our meals, friendly and kind. We met the chef before we left to thank her. What a gifted woman. Her mother was visiting, so we had the honor of meeting her too. We had a great time and wish that we lived in Portland so we could return often.

Okay, one last thing and you might think that this is weird to say in a restaurant review, but the restroom was so clean and tidy and spotless. It felt so nice to use it and have a small child in there.

Don't miss this place! It is just off of Alberta Street, on 14th. They also had outdoor seating that looks very pleasant.

1  Thank MXJumpingBean
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My young daughter loved the complimentary bread. she loved it so much that she barely touched her chicken wienerschnitzel kids meal (which was very well priced btw). Both my wife and I loved the soup of the day (keep in mind my wife usually doesn't like restaurant made soup as it tends to be too salty). I tried goulash for the first time and was amazed by the flavor and texture. My wife enjoyed her lentil stew. Our server was very helpful and pleasant. When I go back to Portland I will definitely be heading back. Thank you Cafe Hibiscus for the best food and service i've had in a long long time. Oh and the prices were very reasonable.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Although this restaurant is not clearly visible from Alberta, the easiest way to find it is from Alberta to N.E. 14th. This is Swiss food with Hawaiian touches. You must hear their story on this. A family operated small restaurant that will welcome you with good food and a warm atmosphere. Limited hours right now, not open on Saturday, but it is worth the search for a nice lunch.