“very good”
Review of Laurelhurst Market

Laurelhurst Market
Ranked #93 of 4,473 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: At the gates of the historic Laurelhurst neighborhood and just 3 minutes from downtown, Laurelhurst Market offers a uniquely Portland steakhouse experience. Drawing off our own in-house butcher shop, our seasonal menu focuses on sustainably raised meats highlighted by several cuts not common to the traditional steakhouse. Awarded one of Bon Appetit Best New Restaurants in America in 2010, we have been at the forfront of Portland's growing dining scene. We feature a full service bar with an extensive craft cocktail menu. Our convivial atmosphere is appropriate for both special occasions and families. Outdoor seating is available when Mother Nature cooperates.
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I went here for a date night. Never having gone here and wanting to try something different, we were pleasantly surprised. The staff was very friendly and the food was incredible. We ordered the seared scallops, which were incredible, 2 different steaks and a couple sides. The steak was cooked perfectly and the fried cauliflower was awesome. We would definitely go back.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

I was taken here by a friend a few years ago. We had burgers. I didn't know burgers could be even half this good. I think they ground up prime rib for the meat it was so tender and *flavorful*, and it was so fresh and warm.. the toppings were superb... I inhaled it.

Since, I've been back with many of my meat connoisseur friends, for steaks (OMG so good!), burgers, appetizers, desserts, and drinks - all excellent every single time. The service the first time was not good, slow and short tempered with any request. Since then, it's been very good. One waiter did spill water on me, but had been so attentive and fun and kind, and the look of abject horror he had at the spill.... well, when I get perfect I'll expect it of others.. and he was pretty close spill aside so no worries. I got a free dessert for it, so who could complain.. besides, we were dining outside and I was a bit warm.

Truly, this place is very high priced, but for a special occasion will rule the day, and be delicious. I live on Mt Hood, so I don't go out to eat very often in the big city, but I think of this place fondly and love the yearly pilgrimage to it, and look forward to coming back again.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

We had an absolutely wonderful meal on a date night. Waitress was informative and helpful. Charcuterie plate was amazing. Wine was very nice. The meat was so flavorful, that it was probably one of the best steaks both my husband and I have had. We're planning a return for my birthday. The ambiance is warm, cozy and crowded, but was intimate enough for our date. One of our favorite restaurants in the area.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

This place is all about meat. If you don't eat meat, don't go here.

Its a very small space, crowded with a communal feel.

Absolutely no conversational privacy and noise carries. One loud, obnoxious drunk's cackling was particularly irritating.

The food:

1) Bread: Comes with a ricotta and oil dip. Very good but it should be for $4.
2) Burger: Average, way better options if you want a burger in Portland.
3) Fries: Ok
4) Steak and Greens: Amazing Greens, steak undercooked but of high quality.

Lots of painfully hip types trying to hard to make an impression about how they are so "Portland" and the loud scene weren't for us. Also rock hard, uncomfortable chairs. Glad we went, but won't be back.

3  Thank Drewmc50
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We decided to try this place when I saw the review in the Wall Street Journal. We weren't dissappointed. When you enter the "market" is what you see first with the display cases of meats. The restaurant isn't fancy but the food is. We started with the charcuterie appetizer. Its a good choice that highlights a lot of different cuts of meats, sausages and pates. I ordered a rib eye and it was fantastic. They gave me a steak knife, but I probably could have gotten by without using it. The steak was that tender, but the flavor was the highlight. We also shared sides of gnocchi which were excellent. No room for desert after all that. I noticed several parties come in with their own wine. I didn't see the corkage policy but it must be OK. The wine list is a little short for such high quality, but prices were reasonable