“Convenient to OHSU and homey but pricey”

Inn at Marquam Hill
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Inn at Marquam Hill
Ranked #11 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
oregon
“Convenient to OHSU and homey but pricey”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The location can't be beat if you need a place to stay near OHSU. The house is lovely, clean and well kept with a very homey atmosphere. We booked a large room with king size bed plus a cot which met our needs well and had arranged to have the room for 4 nights. When we arrived and for the next 3 days, there was no one to greet us or show us where to find things like towels. there was a welcome letter on the table waiting for us, which showed our reservation for 4 nights as requested. After the 3rd night, we were told we had to relocate to another, much smaller room as the room we had was now going to someone else. So even though our welcome letter showed us as being there for four nights, the woman who runs the Inn claimed we only asked for 3. The smaller room was slightly less expensive. Since we'd paid for all 4nights in the larger room, they eventually issued us a small refund several weeks later. Breakfast was served for about 1 hour each morning with a time we couldn't make work for us. When we checked out and asked for a reduction since we had not been able to enjoy the breakfast, we were told we could have made ourselves breakfast. Since no one ever communicated any of this to us and the Inns literature indicated guests could use the kitchen to make tea or cocoa. No mention of being able to actually prepare a meal. So the pluses were that beds were comfy, the place was lovely, clean and quiet, the bathroom down the hall was nice but having to move mid stay was really disconcerting, waiting weeks for a refund and not getting the breakfast part of this bed and breakfast made us feel disappointed and a bit ripped off.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are more accessible. Two of them share a bathroom and one has its own ensuite...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank anansi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Storm Lake
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is not my usual way to travel (bed and breakfast, shared bathroom) but it was surprisingly pleasant and comfortable. Yes, it is a converted home and doesn't offer the most privacy or silence, but it is very clean and well-maintained. Breakfast was delicious and so was the company of the hosts and other travelers. The best location if you are visiting OHSU!

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank KingsPointe
Coos Bay, Oregon
Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

I booked a room at this B&B at the last minute wanting to try something different than usual and because it was more convenient to my location for a course I was attending at OHSU. Overall my stay was adequate--the home is beautiful, clean, comfortable, and the price was affordable for a single queen with shared bath and also breakfast. Nancy was very responsive to my email inquiry about availability of a room at the last minute and booking was easy. While she informed me she might not be there when I arrived and a packet of info with everything I need would be waiting for me (and it was), I never saw her or Mike until the next morning at breakfast. Mike was only there momentarily before leaving for a meeting. Breakfast was good, basic morning fare. Chatting with Nancy over coffee was the best part of the stay--the thing I expect from a B&B. After breakfast she disappeared again and I had no opportunity to say good bye and thank her. If you are looking for a location convenient to OHSU with comfortable, clean accommodations this would be adequate. Parking is limited and at certain times a permit is needed which the hosts will provide but it wasn't an issue for me because of when I arrived and departed. If you are looking for a B&B experience with more attention from your hosts and spending time with them and the other guests this is not the place. I would not stay here for a recreational or leisure visit to Portland, but any business at OHSU this would work.

• Stayed May 2012
5 Thank Skeslack
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Old creaky wooden floors with no noise proofing. My bed sheets and pillow covers were not changed from prior, had lots of hairs in them ( black and light brown, raising the question whether they got changed for last person either... or may be people of two color were living together). Pillows smelled bad. Ceiling had hole in the roof. Main door has no lock ( a pretend lock is there is which is left open all the time) Room does have lock however "keys can be requested" which were never provided to me when i requested. Bathroom is for sharing ( that i knew going in) Rent is about the same as one in downtown place. If you have to live there for few days you will have to go downtown to eat lunch and dinner anyways. The owner "recommended" hospital food for lunch..really.
I made a mistake and you my friends have been warned.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Herky260
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed April 12, 2012

What a wonderful, comfortable, homey place! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It is also very convenient for anyone connected with OHSU. The hospital and university is at the top of a crazy steep hill, with only a small neighborhood around it. It's so steep that many of the students and faculty ride a gondola, like on a ski mountain, to get to work. Parking is difficult or impossible. All of that makes the Inn at Marquam Hill an ideal place to stay for anyone visiting OHSU. At breakfast, it was a fascinating and eclectic group of visitors--a cancer patient who was spending 3 months in the vicinity of OHSU following a stem cell transplant, along with her mother for support; a Mexican woman visiting OHSU for eye surgery, along with a number of her family members; an Australian surgeon spending a week at the hospital to learn advanced techniques in esophageal surgery; a young American woman who lives in China and was visiting her mother in the hospital; a pharmacy student doing a rotation at OHSU. We were visiting our daughter, who is a scientist in the Pediatric Cancer Biology group at OHSU. The hospital and university is only a few blocks away, within easy walking distance. There is parking at the B&B. The owners make arrangements for people who stay for longer periods of time, renting by the week or by the month. Altogether, we very much enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GlennC63
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I enjoyed my one-night stay at the Inn. I slept great and was well-rested for my interview the next day. They were kind enough to give me a little pep talk before I left for my 10 minute walk to OHSU. They have umbrellas you can borrow in case of rain. They are also nearby a bus line that will connect you to the MAX for airport access.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BudgetTraveler776
Bandon, Oregon
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This nicely decorated, very clean and exceedingly comfortable Inn is the perfect place to stay while in Portland. That is especially true if you have business to conduct or need to be near the OHSU medical complex. The rooms are warm and inviting, the bed sooo comfy and pillows and comforter warm and cozy. Mike and Nancy are wonderful hosts and make you feel like you are staying with family. Breakfasts during the week are made to order and there is always fresh coffee available. For our stay we had a room on the second floor. We shared a large bathroom and we had no issues. There is also a second bathroom available on the second floor as well, which is very nice. They even had a small fridge on the second floor you could store leftovers or pop. At night it was quiet, so a good nights sleep was not a problem. I would never stay anywhere else now that I have found this gem in Portland. Close to OHSU and downtown, the absolutely perfect place to stay in Portland and very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Let Mike and Nancy know your needs and they will pick the perfect room for you. We had one on the s...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business