“Quite Interesting but...”

The Hat Museum
Ranked #167 of 453 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: National Hat Museum is open every day of the week and RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. Just call 503-232-0433. 200 years of history comes alive with over 1,300 hats beautifully arranged. Men's hats, Hollywood movie hats, military hats, 1,000 women's hats and novelty hats all inside an historic 1910 house.
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I wish one had more than a few of minutes in each room or display. There was so Much to see
I felt hurried and there was only my friend & I on this tour. ( there was a couple of no shows )

But Great collection of hats and Alyce is very knowledgeable about them- We both learned a few things.

Lovely area- take a few minutes to walk/drive around the neighborhood while you are there.

1  Thank delmelza
Just274, Manager at The Hat Museum, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

We extend a royal invitation to please come visit again FREE of charge and we'll stand back and let you admire each and every one of the 1,300 hats on display! We start every tour asking for your special interests (costumer? collector of vintage?) and we love questions and ask for them. You may recall we even show you a menu of hat styles and let you select (some people ask for EVERY one, others are satisfied with 1 or 2). We are thrilled and excited about hats and want to share all the sights and history with every one who visits whether they are mildly interested or hat fanatics! When someone sees a hat they are particularly drawn to we even photograph it from all angles and email it. We do this free of charge. We apologize profusely if you felt anything other than perfectly welcomed. And there may have been a tour scheduled right after yours altho we try never to rush anybody....especially since they end up in the Gift Shop!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Discovering the Hat Museum was my lucky day. I love hats and have read quite a bit on the subject. However, I had no idea there was actually something called the Hat Museum. It is in a lovely Victorian home in a lovely neighborhood. The collection is breathtaking. I had a private tour. My guide was fabulous. I have never learned so much on a tour. She put hats in historical context. I can't wait to go back on another trip to Portland but there was no way to take it all in.

1  Thank JillWendy
Just274, Manager at The Hat Museum, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

THANK YOU for taking the time to say such great things about The Hat Museum! We try very hard to get you the information you didn't even know you wanted!

Reviewed September 8, 2012

I have been to The Hat Museum on several occasions. It is a fantastic educational experience. Alyce, dressed in 1910 Edwardian attire, brings the history of hats to life. Her knowledge of hats is unmatched. In fact, she may be the most knowledgable hat person in the world. The tour is fun, and amazingly, she has new information every time I visit. She presents the tour as an educator and historian, and she always makes it fun. It's a great museum in a beautiful, historic Portland neighborhood. I'm looking forward to my next visit.

1  Thank Peter C
Just274, Manager at The Hat Museum, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

THANK YOU, thank you for your wonderful comments and all of our hats are off to you! Much continued prosperity to us both and we REALLY appreciate the extra effort on your part to post this review.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

What a cool museum! I absolutely loved it! I am really into old houses and was pleasantly surprised to find this museum located in a vintage Edwardian home in beautiful historic part of Portland.
The house is absolutely bursting at the seams with hats. There is something for everyone. Alyce was so knowledgeable about every kind of hat. You could ask about any hat on display and she knew the history about it.
I will have to say that my favorites are from the Edwardian era. I used to call them Victorian hats but because of this tour and Alyce I now know that they are Edwardian (Silly me). If you want to get and education a museum is the best place to go and Alyce knows her stuff.
I am already scheduling to bring back a group of my girlfriends for an outing.

1  Thank J T
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The Hat Museum's emphasis is on fashion history and incredible craftsmanship of hats and the why of how they changed. Men's hat section was especially great information from wonderful tour guide Alice. She was very patient and let us pick what styles we wanted more info about. Women's hats (and there are a LOT of them!) date back to Victorian times. And just to make sure there is something for the kids and so they don't take things TOO seriously there is a Silly Hat section. This is a fantastic tour and for accepting NO tax payers $$$, they are generous to give you $5 off in the Gift Shop with your ticket. Great tour, highly recommended.

2  Thank cobar p