“Great spot to meet on Alberta for great food and cocktails”
Review of Branch Whiskey Bar - CLOSED

Branch Whiskey Bar
Cuisines: Barbecue, Contemporary, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Went out with a group of six on a Saturday night. Didn't have a reservation for our group yet they were super accommodating. The bartender kept helping us move to a better location as tables opened up. Our group loved the Old Fashioneds and Side Cars and they had a great beer menu too. We started with the duck fat fries which were fantastic and enjoyed our entrees--truffle oil mac n cheese, burgers...everything was terrific. Wine pours were generous too. All around good atmosphere, staff and food.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

The whiskey selection and the cocktails are top notch. Happy hour has a great burger and fries. Go for the great food or for a night cap.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

A cold winter night, we walked into what looked like a saloon with a charm of it's own. The waiter was quit nice and very informative for bartending and waiting tables both. We asked for suggestions and he told us a little about each item on the menu and the menu changes each month. Tia and I had the braised Wild Boar, cooked with spicy peppers and a cream sauce with Polenta, it tasted fabulous, very rich. When it first arrived I thought what is this, there were no hunks of pork, it was shredded in the cream sauce, but after one bite I was hooked. Paul had the braised Veal Cheeks and the sauce was delicious, meat very tender and the cauliflower au graten was great. Steve had the burger, which was good but the bacon was too smoked (over powered the burger) and the duck fat fries were over cooked. We've had duck fat fries before at a french restaurant and they were the best fries we'd ever had but these were off the mark.
Give them a try and ask the server what they like, a good restaurant will let the employees try their food. I think they have an excellent chef with great ideas. Keep the menu small and make it the Best. Another great place on Alberta Street.

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Cozy little spot on Alberta, definitely worth a trip if you enjoy a bar to enjoy conversation and relaxation with friends. The food is thoughtful and delicious, and the heaviness of some dishes pairs excellently with whiskey. This bar feels more grown up than others in the hood, while still being a fun place to be. Not stuffy or "old," just more about thinking and conversation than video entertainment or loudness. I like it!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Crowded and noisy. We had plenty of time for conversation, because it was a LONG wait for food to be served. Fortunately, everyone was pleased with their dinners. Two had the 'steak frites' and, although I balk at beef (especially quite rare, as this was), I liked my sample. I had the braised boar over polenta, which was pretty darn satisfying - creamy with a hint of a kick. The happy hour drinks menu is attractive, but, for a place whose name is 'whiskey bar', my only disappointment was my whiskey sour, which seemed to be a glass of ice-cubes, with some slightly-flavored ice water added. Great place for a pre-Alberta Rose show, if you're not in a hurry to get to the concert.