“Pork - love it or leave”
Review of Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd
Ranked #176 of 4,292 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Failing
Transit: Trimet stops #5907 & #5906
Description: Ned Ludd is an American Craft Kitchen located in the Historic NE King Neighborhood. Chef/Owner Jason French offers foods cooked exclusively in a wood fired oven. We are committed to products sourced from local and regional purveyors. Our food is simple, rustic and meant to satisfy those who seek an authentic Northwest meal. The food, service and ambiance work together in an effort to offer a unique and casual Portland culinary experience. We are fortunate to live within an amazing network of passionate and committed farmers, foragers and craft producers. We hope you will join us to celebrate the bounty of the Greater Portland food community!
Naples, Florida
“Pork - love it or leave”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I'm willing to try again, but I thought this place missed the brass ring on a couple of revolutions. OK. Pork Pork Pork. I made a joke to the chef about creating a desert made out of sugar extracted from a pig and he was not at all amused and I sensed a flaring temper being suppressed. Yuck. Whatever. Everybody wears glasses. Weird. Got the pork noodles and enjoyed the first couple of mouthfuls. Had no idea that the noodles were actually made of pig skin rendered into a soft gooey noodle. Fascinating. It did freak me out after a few more mouthfuls and I had to stop. They were tasty though. The puffy bread thing was adored by everyone and I thought it was a big miss. Underwhelming. The dessert was a chocolate chip cookie bake in a mini cast iron skillet .... cute.... but tasted cakey and overbaked. The cabbage salad with some kind of pork was good. I think the place is evolving and in a year or so it will be pretty darn good. I'm gonna wait.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank rephello1

“Clearly winter is a slow, boring time for "local" food at Ned Ludd.”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

And that is really sad.
The menu lacked imagination in choices and options while being abundant in pork, labneh, carrots and soft cheese. All dishes lacked salt and the taste of many of the ingredients on the menu. The bread and the carrot salad were the highlight; still lacking salt.
Small things like the table rocking the entire meal, the incorrect drink order, bland, inattentive staff were disappointing. Larger things like the 10 minutes we waited for the "other" main dish to arrive made it just silly. We won't return, with friends or otherwise.
Honestly, the evening would be improved with a quick trip to Whole Foods, very basic cooking skills, some funky music and candles on the table. Cooked. At. Home.
Oh, and you can skip the jelly jars. They're kinda tacky, don't you think?

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Honeybee63
Portland, Oregon
“Either it was an off-night or I'm odd man out.”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I knew nothing about it when I passed by here so I had no expectations or prejudices. Noticed that the vegetables came from from a garden outside. I am not really into the cliched "local, organic, sustainable" line that is so popular in Pacific Northwest. I prefer that the food taste good. The food here had NO taste whatsoever. Completely unforgettable. Service was neither good nor bad--also not memorable. I suspect it's the Emporor's New Dinner.

• Visited August 2012
Syracuse, NY
“Small space, big flavor”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We recently ate here as we are planning to have an event and wanted to sample the food. This is Portland at its best. The menu features both seasonal and local ingredients. The wood fired oven makes for fabulous flavors. Although the space is small it was not loud. We shared some appetizers and also shared a couple of vegetable dishes. As we were on a fact finding mission we sampled one another's main dishes so that we could make a decision about booking an event. I had mussels that were sweet and succulent. The menu changes regularly giving one an opportunity to sample a variety of dishes. Entrees are very reasonably priced and we were able to make a reservation. It all added up to a lovely dinner and evening.

Visited December 2012
United States
“Be Still My Heart”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Ned Ludd is fantastic. I can't believe I ate the skin from the trout. The skin. I ate fish skin. Shocking, I know, but it was so tasty I couldn't stop. Wow. Everything is handmade to order, so it takes a little time to get to your table, but it's all perfectly seasoned, prepared, and plated, and the ingredients and flavors--though sometimes unexpected--complement each other. They don't try too hard by making it seem fancier than it is.

Drinks and coffee are excellent. Desserts not quite to my taste but I was so full by that time it would have taken quite a bit to get me excited.

They also have the best Sunday brunch I've eaten in Portland, with a nice selection of non-egg things for people who are sick of eggs. (There's some great egg stuff, too, for them what's not sick of eggs, and they have non-chicken egg things, too).

It's a small place and noise carries, and while I'm a grandma and love kids, I think this isn't the best place to bring them if they are kinetic types who can't sit still in one place for more than 20 minutes (my kids were like this, so I respect, I really do).

• Visited December 2012