“Welcome to Portland...”
Review of Santeria

Santeria
Ranked #502 of 4,276 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Salt Lake City
“Welcome to Portland...”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

After checking in at our hotel, we immediately jumped in the car to head into downtown Portland. We were starving, and couldn't find the pizza place we were originally searching for, and I'm glad we didn't! We ended up stumbling into Santeria, and were immediately seated. TINY place, but a good atmosphere. Our server (server/bartender/greeter/seater/table-clearer, etc!) was amazing. Friendly, knowledgeable, and QUICK! I don't think this dude ever stopped moving the entire time we were there. He works hard!

We ordered the chile rellano, and I was not disappointed. Cinnamon in the sauce? Never had it, but I really enjoyed it. We were in and out pretty quickly and it was the best way to kick off our vacation to Portland. Thank you!!

• Visited July 2013

Columbus, Ohio
“A Little Voodoo, A Little Skin”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Although a little cramped and off the beaten path, some great Mexican-ish food served up by people who seem to make the connection between happy customers and staying in business. Some seriously large and tasty burritos going on here. A note to the squeamish: they share a restroom with an adjoining strip club (but I closed my eyes).

Visited June 2013
Seattle
“Fun "Hole-in-the-Wall-Experience" w/ Great Libations & Mexican Grub”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for a late lunch and had some amazing pork dishes ("Pigs Can Fly"?) and cucumber drinks that our totally-fun server recommended!

Although the guys in our group seemed to have to go to the men's room an extraordinarily high number of times ;) it was a very fun Portlandia experience with good food, drinks and " stories" as a result!

Highly recommend but not for families or the uptight.

• Visited July 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Ahh, hole-in-the-wall restaurants are my favourite. They have charm, style, and the food is usually amazing! Santeria is no exception, though I have to say the service was a little cold at first and the food seemed excessively salty (I had to say it, I'm a salt addict and I still found it overwhelming).
I had the fajitas which were quite delicious. Service warmed up quickly and we felt welcome there. Good Mexican food for being this far north!
Vegan friendly (like much of Portland) and great portion sizes, I'd eat here again for sure!

• Visited March 2013
San Diego, California
“Mexican Food in the PNW”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Being from San Diego, I am used to real authentic Mexican food from both sides of the border. I was surprised when late at night I went out with some friends to Santeria for Mexican food in Portland. The food was good, certainly not what I was used to, but good nonetheless. The service was great, our waiter was really friendly and efficient. Santeria shares a bathroom with the strip club, so beware if you need to use it, you may get more than what you expected!

• Visited March 2013