“Excellent Catering, Food & Service”
Review of East India Co.

East India Co.
Reserve with OpenTable
East India Co. is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #187 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: On 11th between Yamhill & Taylor
Transit: The Portland street car stops right outside our restaurant at 11th & Taylor.
Description: East India Co Grill & Bar offers a delectable journey and redefines the perception of Indian food. The romantic interior combines seductive Indian richness and sparkle, with dramatic lighting, and 1800's sepia photographs. Subtle complex marinades using time honored Indian grilling methods created by seasoned master chefs reflect the food trends in today's India. The menu remains true to classic Indian recipes but is served with verve and style. All of this along with our hospitality and innovative signature cocktails makes for a unique dining experience. The restaurant is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Portland on 11th avenue between Yamhill and Taylor. We are open for lunch, happy hour, and dinner everyday. We invite you to join us for the East India experience.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were looking for a place to celebrate our parents 50th Anniversary. Pradeep at East India Company worked with us to make this an unforgettable event. They are usually closed on Sundays but he opened the restaurant up for us to have a private party. We had quite a few food restrictions and special needs and he worked with us to ensure that each guest could be accommodated. We also wanted a band and he opened up the place a few hours early so the band could set up. Overall, the food and service was excellent and everyone had an incredible evening. Thanks so much to Pradeep and his team for making it an amazing event for our parents.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I ate here in June 2011 and rated this 5 star. This was my second visit to Portland and I couldn't wait to return. Once again the food was superb, no complaints on that front whatsoever. This time though our enjoyment was almost ruined by the terrible service. From the unfriendly greeting, to food not turning up, to the sullen attitude of many staff. The service was utterly confused. We had six!! different servers, one guy poured water, one guy brought drinks, one lady slapped down food in front of us, one lady asked how our food was, one guy looked absolutely clueless and one lady had to apologize or all the mistakes. What a shame.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had never tried East India, so when friends said it was one of their favorites, I was happy to go along. The ambiance is terrific - a nice small bar space opening into an elegant and comfortable dining area (although a little loud on a Saturday night). The menu is a bit puzzling - it appears they are trying to be "all things to all people," in other words, food from all over the subcontinent, but most of which appearing the same on everyone's plate. All three of us received a pyramid of rice, a puzzling side dish of tarted-up cubed peas and carrots, and a highly-spiced main dish (different ones) swimming in a creamy sauce. The papadan was odd to my taste and I didn't even try the nan. There were no condiments.

I enjoyed my evening because I love my friends and I relish the chance to spend time with time, But in terms of relishing the cuisine, Portland has many better options. For good Indian food, go to Beaverton.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

More expensive than most Indian restaurants, but also more high end in terms of quality of dishes served and a quiet ambience that allows for conversation. Every dish was delicious (the grilled fish was delicious, but a bit dry). Dishes can be quite spicy, even for the mild, so if spice is not your thing, be sure to advise server to have the seriously tone the spice down. Only a few truly vegan options. Located In the heart of downtown Portland, situated behind the Library in the 800 block of SW 11th Avenue, street parking in the evenings is usually easy.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I've visited East India Co. twice in the past year, based on the recview in Portland Monthly. Wow! What tasty food!! The menu is expansive, offering a wide variety of foods that fit nearly every diet. The naan is perfect, the curries fabulous, the service attentive. And the mango cheesecake is to die for! Lightest and most fluffy cheesecake I've ever had, made me want to order a second piece :)