“Don't Miss the Biscuits!”
Review of Bakery Bar - CLOSED

Bakery Bar
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Bakery Bar was within easy walking distance of our Portland accommodation, and with free Wi-Fi and some of the most delicious breakfast treats I've ever had, it's no wonder we made two visits there -- and next time will increase that number.

The Stumptown coffee is delicious, but nothing can top the egg sandwiches on your choice of house-made English muffin or Black Pepper Buttermilk Biscuit, or a gluten-free roll. I had the #2 both times with that fabulous biscuit, filled with a fried egg, thick-cut bacon, cheddar cheese and tomato jam. It keeps you going for a long time!

We also bought a scone at each of our visits, and ate them later in the day -- the apple-bacon scone is truly remarkable, and the fennel-golden raisin one was delicious with a cup of tea in the afternoon.

Bakery Bar is a family-friendly place, with plenty of seating inside and out, and next time -- because there definitely will be a next time -- I'm going to try the polenta and eggs, because I love polenta and "a bowl of creamy polenta topped with 2 eggs how you like 'em, blue cheese crumbles, and chives" is calling me!

For those interested in more traditional breakfast fare, there are also those fabulous biscuits "smothered in our own sausage gravy and topped with two eggs..." or scrambled eggs or pastrami hash or pancakes or house-made granola -- or many other choices, including several for vegetarians and vegans.

Don't miss this place!

1  Thank LocalFoodLoverNW

Reviewed October 12, 2011

This place came highly recommended but I was disappointed with our meal. Please note since my partner and I shared an item, this recommendation is based on only one meal. The menu and place looked interesting enough I would try it again if I lived in the area.

We ordered the Breakfast Burrito with chorizo but it appears they left out the egg and replaced it with chorizo which made it a very meat heavy dish. I also would have liked more of the sauce that they topped it with. We also ordered a vegan, raspberry/lime muffin which I found to be quite tasteless. Along with our meal we ordered an OJ which was pretty non-descript. There was a wait-list to be seated and to their credit they gave us coffee cups and let us serve ourselves while we waited in line, which I thought was awesome. Prices were good.

To re-iterate, based on several recommendations and the fact the place seemed very popular, if I lived in the area, I would try them again.

Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and I were up very early and decided to walk to get breakfast. Just under four miles later, we arrived at the Bakery Bar. It was worth every step. The staff, from the host, to the server, to the busser, to the counter staff, were super friendly. The menu is good-sized with lots of variety, and then there are multiple specials. It was very hard to pick - I wanted one of everything. Our server spent a lot of time with us, answering questions and making suggestions. Everything we had was amazing - pastries, coffee, and eggs. The prices were very reasonable considering the quality and the portions, which were generous. After eating a slab of banana bread with chocolate ganach, we split a veggie scramble and it was just the perfect size with all the extras (potatoes and black pepper buttermilk biscuit). The only drawback was that the pastries rotate, and rotate quickly. If you wait too long to pick, your pastry may be gone. I wish I could've eaten here again, but we will be back!

1  Thank Fetaphile
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Bacon & apple scone. Epic. Coffee also outstanding. Been here twice but wish I lived nearer.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

The food here is absolutely fantastic and the locals know it! We arrived here a little before 9am and it didn't take long for a line to form. You order your food at the counter and they deliver it to you once its ready. There is lots of indoor and outdoor seating but it fills fast. We went on a Friday morning and it was filled completely when we left at 10am. I can only imagine what its like there on the weekend.

The food we got tasted great and was hot when it arrived. The service is better than ok for the two folks they have taking care of customers but was definitely slow due to the number of people they had to serve. However that's very easy to overlook considering the excellent food and the price for what you receive. I HIGHLY recommend their breakfast burrito with chorizo. Absolutely fantastic.

1  Thank scoots0492