“Warm and Comfy”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bellaterra Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 36 Portland B&B and Inns
Santa Cruz, California
“Warm and Comfy”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I spent Christmas 2012 in Portland and stayed at Bellaterra. I was anything but disappointed with my experience there. Ellen is a gracious innkeeper and fine hostess. She cooked us a scrumptious hot breakfast on Christmas morning and we were delighted by our chat with Ellen and her Mom who was visiting for the holidays. Ellen was extremely helpful — volunteering plenty of info about points of interest in Portland. The overall order and decor of this B&B is just the way I like it: it feels like a residence rather than an overly ostentatious display of someone's overdrive for decor. Our room was ready, immaculate, and inviting upon our arrival. The bed was comfortable and the colors of the room, soothing. The bathroom was finished in toasty shades of genuine marble and tastefully arranged and furnished.
The continental breakfast was also very impressive, a wide variety including: Breads, yogurts, jams, cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, cold cereals, teas, coffee, and even Nutella! Overall an excellent value. I would also like to add here that none of the negative points offered by previous reviewers were in evidence during our stay. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Black Diamond, Washington
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The Bellaterra is located in a nice neighborhood, just south of the downtown core. We were disappointed to find out breakfast would not be served the next morning due to a family matter. I understand these things happen, but wish I would have received an e-mail notice in advance; instead of when we showed up. The room was nice but small; the bathroom, almost nicer than the room. Although there wasn't anything really "wrong" with this place, in comparing it to other B & B's we have stayed over the years, it really was very mediocre.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue W
atlanta
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Great location, quiet neighborhood, very comfortable bed. Breakfast was delicious. Ellen even had coffee ready for us at 4am prior to our fishing excursion. Why go to such a unique city and stay in a ubiquitous chain or faux cool hotel. This place is quintessential Portlandia.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We arrived on Friday for 3 nights and our room wasn't ready although the innkeeper had specifically asked when we would be arriving. Also had to immediately pay for the room which is the first time we have had to do that. Breakfast Sunday was O.K. but disorganized. Monday morning was terrible-mold on some of the bread and dried up jam in the bottom of a jar. Sunday the innkeeper had simply disappeared and never saw her to tell her we had an early flight Tuesday. We really felt we were overcharged for the whole thing-including a very squeaky bed! I guess the best thing was the location but the outside of the place is really shabby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Badgergirl66

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I thought we would try a bed and breakfast for our anniversary for a quiet little getaway in downtown Portland. We have lived here 12 years and been to a few that were out of town so we thought we would try one that was a little closer to home. My first sign that something was amiss was when I tried calling to make a reservation. The innkeeper Ellen sounded confused and and referred me to the website instead of taking the reservation over the phone. If you have a customer on the phone ready to make a reservation why would you refer them to an impersonal website? So, I went to the website and reserved a room for the following Friday, plenty of time for her to have gone to the website and taken down our info.

We arrived at 6:30pm the night we reserved only to find that the innkeeper Ellen had not even bothered to check the website and therefore had not reserved our room. It was not clean or ready for us so she asked us to come back in a half hour so she could clean it. The intereior of the B&B was underwhelming to say the least, it was cluttered and the sitting room was full of second hand furniture. Another guest from CA was checking in at the same time and looked equally disappointed. It was awkward to sit quietly in this room with the other person while Ellen's chief concern was running both of our credit cards and collecting up front. $140 for a room in this establishment is paying too much so I guess I understand her desire to get the money before visitors change their mind. The pictures on the website were beautiful, the real thing was average at best and the main attraction for this B&B was lost when we saw it from the street. It is not quiet or cozy, the front is overgrown and the only view was trees in the front yard which was on a main thoroughfare.The room we intended to stay in felt like a spare room in someone's house. So my wife and I left to look for a place to have dinner or a drink but what we really wanted was to unpack and relax after a long week. We talked about it and the more we did the more uncomfortable we were with the whole situation. So after a cocktail and 45 minutes we went back. The house was dark and empty so I walked upstairs to see if I could find Ellen, she had just entered our room (which was a total mess) and had not yet begun cleaning. At that poinjt I had had enough. I nicely asked for a refund and said we were going to make alternate plans. She agreed and apologized.

For an establishment to charge that much money for a single night's stay in a below average room is almost larceny. Ellen was very distracted and nervous and seemed like she had other things to do and our arrival was a surpise to her. Not the kind of reception one expects when putting down $140 for a night that was supposed to be quiet and romantic and ended up being disappointing and not worth the trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Troy V
Buenos Aires
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I`ve stayed in Bellaterra B&B for 3 nights last month (July, 2012). The people in charge are absolutely nice and lovely, always willing to help you. The house is magical, with its unique style and fascinating decoration. I stayed in the Woodland room: wonderful view (full of trees), big and confortable bed, walk-in shower, lilttle fridge, microwave oven, wardrobe, desk, air conditioning.
What is more, I totally loved the neighbourhood, full of flowers, plants, trees and nature, and if you stop at every corner of Corbett Avenue you will be able to appreciate a magnificent view of the gorgeous landscape.
There are many places to eat nearby, supermarkets , and also bus stops (you can get to downton Portland in like 10 minutes, or even less, by bus).
You have 2 options for breakfast: the hot one (delicious home-made preparations) or the cold one (cereals, toasts, bread, coffee, yoghurt, etc).
All in all, I loved my stay in Bellaterra, it was perfect and I would definitely come back again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ayelen D
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Best place to stay for unique experience and personal touch....plenty of places to eat and things to do....The inn keeper Ellen is a very fascinating woman and very down to earth overall good cook and great person. Each room is unique with its own style and taste. Not far from downton...Hope to return for anniversary. Thank you Ellen for an unique experience.....Tommy and Julie......

• Stayed March 2012