“Disappointed and mislead” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bellaterra Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bellaterra Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Disappointed and mislead”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I thought we would try a bed and breakfast for our anniversary for a quiet little getaway in downtown Portland. We have lived here 12 years and been to a few that were out of town so we thought we would try one that was a little closer to home. My first sign that something was amiss was when I tried calling to make a reservation. The innkeeper Ellen sounded confused and and referred me to the website instead of taking the reservation over the phone. If you have a customer on the phone ready to make a reservation why would you refer them to an impersonal website? So, I went to the website and reserved a room for the following Friday, plenty of time for her to have gone to the website and taken down our info.

We arrived at 6:30pm the night we reserved only to find that the innkeeper Ellen had not even bothered to check the website and therefore had not reserved our room. It was not clean or ready for us so she asked us to come back in a half hour so she could clean it. The intereior of the B&B was underwhelming to say the least, it was cluttered and the sitting room was full of second hand furniture. Another guest from CA was checking in at the same time and looked equally disappointed. It was awkward to sit quietly in this room with the other person while Ellen's chief concern was running both of our credit cards and collecting up front. $140 for a room in this establishment is paying too much so I guess I understand her desire to get the money before visitors change their mind. The pictures on the website were beautiful, the real thing was average at best and the main attraction for this B&B was lost when we saw it from the street. It is not quiet or cozy, the front is overgrown and the only view was trees in the front yard which was on a main thoroughfare.The room we intended to stay in felt like a spare room in someone's house. So my wife and I left to look for a place to have dinner or a drink but what we really wanted was to unpack and relax after a long week. We talked about it and the more we did the more uncomfortable we were with the whole situation. So after a cocktail and 45 minutes we went back. The house was dark and empty so I walked upstairs to see if I could find Ellen, she had just entered our room (which was a total mess) and had not yet begun cleaning. At that poinjt I had had enough. I nicely asked for a refund and said we were going to make alternate plans. She agreed and apologized.

For an establishment to charge that much money for a single night's stay in a below average room is almost larceny. Ellen was very distracted and nervous and seemed like she had other things to do and our arrival was a surpise to her. Not the kind of reception one expects when putting down $140 for a night that was supposed to be quiet and romantic and ended up being disappointing and not worth the trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Troy V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I`ve stayed in Bellaterra B&B for 3 nights last month (July, 2012). The people in charge are absolutely nice and lovely, always willing to help you. The house is magical, with its unique style and fascinating decoration. I stayed in the Woodland room: wonderful view (full of trees), big and confortable bed, walk-in shower, lilttle fridge, microwave oven, wardrobe, desk, air conditioning.
What is more, I totally loved the neighbourhood, full of flowers, plants, trees and nature, and if you stop at every corner of Corbett Avenue you will be able to appreciate a magnificent view of the gorgeous landscape.
There are many places to eat nearby, supermarkets , and also bus stops (you can get to downton Portland in like 10 minutes, or even less, by bus).
You have 2 options for breakfast: the hot one (delicious home-made preparations) or the cold one (cereals, toasts, bread, coffee, yoghurt, etc).
All in all, I loved my stay in Bellaterra, it was perfect and I would definitely come back again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ayelen D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

Best place to stay for unique experience and personal touch....plenty of places to eat and things to do....The inn keeper Ellen is a very fascinating woman and very down to earth overall good cook and great person. Each room is unique with its own style and taste. Not far from downton...Hope to return for anniversary. Thank you Ellen for an unique experience.....Tommy and Julie......

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Passionplaces
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

The Bellaterra Bed and Breakfast in Portland, OR is a wonderful and relaxing little oasis! I cannot recommend it highly enough. I initially booked this room after buying the Living Social coupon deal. When I emailed to schedule, the innkeeper, Ellen, was quick, friendly and so accommodating. The rooms are gorgeous. Every little need is taken care of for you and every little detail has been lovingly added. As a busy traveler, I was not able to be here as much as I'd like to be, but she made it very easy for me to get what I needed. Her hospitality was so welcome and appreciated. I would recommend this for the traveler who is tired of hotels, for the couple who wants a romantic getaway, or for anyone who wants to stay at a high quality B & B!

Room Tip: The website has pictures so that you can make your choice. I don't think you can go wrong!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DrVV
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

My experience was not ideal however in honesty I do think the innkeeper tries to the best of her ability. The room I finally got after about 18 emails and 5 phone calls was the Scheherazake Room...I had booked another room and it was confirmed but apparently the previous guest decided to extend his stay and so I was bumped. I had specifically booked at this place for that particular room I confirmed so I was not pleased with being bumped. The house is old and in need of some repair and a thorough cleaning but overall, her heart is in the right place. The room was indeed very small even for one person. The bathtub was nice and the breakfast was decent. Overall, I would say it was acceptable but I wouldn't return based on my experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Didi R
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at Bellaterra twice and we absolutely love it. The B&B is situated in a nicely restored Victorian home with a sitting area and dining room on the first floor and cozy, clean guest rooms upstairs. The owner is very helpful and there's plenty of literature about what to do or getting around town. Our favorite part is the breakfast-she cooks up unique flavors and every time we've eaten there she has offered us plenty of breakfast options. I'm sure we'll stay there again one day.

Room Tip: The rooms are quite different from one another so ask the owner when you reserve which would be best...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NRBtravels
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

My new wife and I stayed here for one night on our honeymoon, we stayed in the Sunrise Room. It was big, the bed was comfy and it was extremely clean. We wanted to be near a restaurant that served gluten free fish and chips (Hawthorne Fish House on Corbett Ave) and this place was right down the road from this B&B. The host was extremely accommodating and had no issues cooking up a tasty gluten free breakfast.

She was also helpful in pointing out things to do in Portland.....even if you don't need to eat gluten free, this was a cozy place in a quiet part of town.

The other reviewer spoke about coffee before 9am and this is true....but the coffee maker is setup and ready to go....all you have to do is flip a switch.

Room Tip: On a clear day, you can see Mt. Hood from the Sunrise Room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple