“It's Bigger on the Inside”

The Fish and Chip Shop
Ranked #2,144 of 4,292 Restaurants in Portland
Portland
“It's Bigger on the Inside”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

It's a bit of a haul (1 hour driving each way) for us to get to this place but if you're a Doctor Who fan and you live that close to a TARDIS Room you have to go. From the outside, it doesn’t look like much and it’s a bit simple on the inside. We had friends that told us the food was yummy and we HAD to go. So we dropped by for a late lunch one Saturday, the place was pretty empty, we had one room to ourselves. We ran around taking pictures of / with all of the DW items in the rooms before settling down for food.

I ordered a British pop called Tizer (it’s a fruity sprite like drink with ginger) and cod fish and chips. My daughter had corn dogs. It was a little bit of a wait, more than we expected for pub food. Later we learned why, the fish isn't even sliced until we order it; they take great care to prepare food to order. That care showed. The F&C were good, really good, the fries though unseasoned were fresh, I added salt to taste and was quite happy. The tarter was unusual but quite tasty, likely homemade.

The big surprise was the dessert. When dessert was offered, I wavered. I don’t normally eat dessert with lunch but we’d come along way and the food so far was pretty good. The waitress said that she really likes the Sticky Toffee Pudding with Custard, so I tried it. I did not expect a HOT pudding cake in a bowl surrounded by hot custard. I first tasted the custard and it was good but when I had the pudding with the custard oh my goodness that was delicious. For me, it is certainly one of my top 10 desserts of all time.

We went for a lark, to enjoy some time with Doctor Who but we’ll be back for the food. OK, maybe we’ll come for a Doctor Who trivia night one Tuesday.

• Visited August 2012

Orlando, Florida
“Good food bad service”
Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Fatherscdsu one server Really !! They did not have the things onthe menus however they had every kind of fish and chips. I never got silverware so I ate with my hands seing that it's fish and chips but it should be offered as an option great food poor planing please save this place because the food is good. However, it needs new management

Tualatin, Oregon
“CHIPS and fish”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I went to The Fish and Chip Shop with great expectations of finding at least something to remind me of those found in the UK. Well, if this shop ever opened there, it would be closed within a week!

When one orders a large cod dinner, you would expect it to have more than three five inch by two inch pieces of heavily battered (what tasted as once frozen) fish (it was in there somewhere) and a medium (by chip shop standards) order of chips. I almost laughed that some of the chips were close to the same size as the fish strips!

Having it as a take-out, I had to wait at the counter for almost 10 minutes until the server was free and another 15 for my order to be cooked - it was not worth the wait. Sitting there, I was amused by how it is decorated, with English knick-knacks and Dr Who items. The place almost felt like it is an on-going decorating project.

The Good
Menu: They have drinks from the UK and deep fried Mars bars.
Theme: Some Dr. Who is always good!

The Bad
Taste: Decent, but there are better places.
Quality: Overbattered
Presentation: Close to a "chippies."
Wait time: Not worth it.

The Ugly
Value: Very poor

There may be a day that I will return to try their sausage rolls - still overpriced, but few places sell them around here.

• Visited May 2012
Portland
“Like Doctor Who? The Place For You!”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

If you like the long running BBC series Doctor Who, this is the Brit Fish and Chips place for you. All rooms but the main one have Doctor Who themed memorabilia on the walls, the restroom doors are painted to look like a TARDIS (The Doctor's time machine) and they are showing muted DVD episodes (with captions) from the latest season on a raised flat screen TV in one room. The food is good, but a little pricey for the portions, One of our group was a vegetarian and found only two items on the menu (one a salad) to eat. They have on-tap and bottled beer, some British, some Oregon based with portions up to a British pint. They are using a tablet-based (think I-pad like) billing system that the help have still not mastered. Tip amounts are preset on the pad. The first amount is zero, second is 15% and then 20%, Watch your entries carefully. We asked that they turn down the rock music on the speakers so we could talk and it took two times to get it muted a little. The music is not needed. The main room has sports on a mounted TV, also muted. Pool in the back is free.
Theme - great, if you are a Doctor Who fan. Food - good, but a little pricey. Service - could be improved on. Over-all - a very good rating.

• Visited May 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Halibut and Chips - say no more!”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Had a quick lunch here this week - freshly cooked halibut which was delicious, creamy and how it should really be - the batter was crspy and wasn't soggy plus it wasn't freezer to fryer! Just wished there was another piece! The chips were the real mccoy and tasted just like they were from the chippy from back home! (Tasted freshly cut)
I'd like to come back and try out some more! My friend was very happy with the Shepherds Pie.
Plus - the taste abd quality of the fish and 'real' chips
negs - restaurant was a little cold...brrr

• Visited March 2012