“Too much air freshener, not enough fresh air.”

Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station
Ranked #29 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bend, Oregon
“Too much air freshener, not enough fresh air.”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Hyatt Place at the Portland Airport prominently posts signs which warn of a $200 charge if you smoke in their rooms. But what happens when the room stinks of air freshener, not smoke?

I have stayed there twice in the past month and both times I was assaulted with the smell of excess air freshener as I opened the door to my room. The basic problem is that the windows to this hotel do not open and the HVAC controls do not have a vent or outside air option. As far as I can tell, the ONLY way to get fresh air into your room is to leave the bathroom fan on for hours. I tried this and the room still reeked after 5 hours.

My guess is that the housekeeping staff uses the air freshener to compensate for the lack of ventilation in the rooms. I have complained twice to the front desk about this and their response is " we will notify housekeeping".

I am not overly sensitive to odors or perfumes , but for some reason I can not stand the smell of these rooms. Otherwise, the Hyatt Place would be my first choice of hotels at the airport

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DoctorM
Ryan H, General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor! I apologize that your stay was anything less than delightful. I we strive for complete customer satisfaction and it seems that we dropped the ball in this one area. I assure that your comments will be addressed with the housekeeping staff to hopefully alleviate this situation. We hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Berkeley, California
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have stayed here twice during business trips to Portland. The hotel is in a convenient location, only about 10 minutes from the airport. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Free breakfast is a great perk.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Justin P
Ryan H, General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you so much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! I am happy to know that our location is convenient for you for your business travels. We are fortunate to be located so close to the airport with that "airport" feel. We hope to see you next time your business travels take you to Portland. Thanks again!
Auburn, CA
Reviewed October 27, 2013

With my daughter now attending college in Portland, we have recently found ourselves spending quite a few nights at the Hyatt Place Portland. Each stay was consistently excellent. The rooms are large, modern and clean. The free breakfast is plentiful and varied. The staff is very personable and helpful. The location is excellent, especially considering the free airport shuttle. Love the free parking, daily newspaper and wifi. We have come to expect a high level of quality from the Hyatt chain, and this particular hotel delivers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Foothillgal
Hello and thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that we are your "home away from home." It is very gratifying knowing that our repeat guests receive consistent service every time they visit. Good luck to your daughter and we look forward to seeing you next time!
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I wish there were more Hyatt Places in Oregon. Apparently, this is the only one. I like it because the breakfast is easy and very good, it accommodates all of us, comfortably, and it's an easy ride on MAX to the downtown. We park (no charge) in the lot and enjoy public transportation. We woke up, took a morning walk and found wild blackberries to snack on. Hyatt Place on Portland gives us the usual room and hotel amenities we like, an urban experience, but no big city hassles.

• Stayed August 2013
Timothy D, Assistant General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Hello kbboise and thank you for taking the time to review Hyatt Place Portland on TripAdvisor! I am happy that you found our location convenient and amenities satisfactory! It is an honor to be considered your new hotel of choice in the Portland area and we look forward to your next visit!

Best Regards,

Tim Donnell
Assistant General Manager
Hyatt Place Portland Airport/Cascade Station
timothy.donnell@hyatt.com
Floyd, Virginia
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This hotel is located a stone's throw from the Portland airport. You can even take the commuter rail to and from. Once there, it has many, many stores and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel itself is modern and well maintained. There's a nice complimentary hot breakfast buffet that is a step above the typical hotel breakfast. There's also a small bar in the lobby area where you can get beer and wine 24/7 and spirits up until 11pm. Packaged food is available too. Other amenities: pool and spa; laundry facilities; fitness room.

My room was booked through a group so not sure how to advise about whether mine was a typical room. I had a king bed with a sofa sitting area. Lots of electrical outlets and ports that are easy to get to. Room has a safe. The one thing I wanted for was a tub. Shower only...perhaps other rooms have?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for reviewing the Hyatt Place Portland on TripAdvisor! I'm thrilled that our location was convenient for you and you had enjoyed your stay. To answer your question regarding rooms with bath tubs, yes we do have tubs in our rooms with two queen-sized beds. Our double-queen rooms make up for about 1/3 of the hotel. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Portland! Thanks again!
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed at both the Hyatt Place and Aloft at PDX. The Hyatt Place is very business oriented, big room with big breakfast with fresh fruit and breakfast sandwiches, the Aloft is much more upbeat and fun.
Location - Plenty of food options outside hotel, IHOP, Buffalo Wild Wings, Red Robin, Taco Del Mar, Starbucks, even IKEA food court, etc.
Staff - good, front desk though always seemed busy w paperwork
Amenities - didn't get to use fitness center but restaurant was very nicely managed for breakfast.
Value - With free parking and train to downtown this is a good value vs. downtown hotels

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hello and thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! I'm glad that you were able to enjoy some of the amenities that Hyatt Place has to offer and hopefully next time you are in Portland you will be able to take advantage of our StayFit Gym. We'll see you next time. Thanks!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This is the 2nd time I've ended up staying at a Hyatt Place and the 2nd time I've been very impressed with the experience of these hotels. The exercise facility is adequate and has an indoor pool and jacuzzi. An nice self-serve breakfast with a nice selection of hot items, cereals, fruits etc.

Located near many restaurants, shops and the light rail station this hotel is actually pretty convenient. I ended booking there for a week even though I was working in the city center. Not the preferred location for working in the city, but it was functional. Certainly well-located for airport access.

A very comfortable room with a large widescreen TV, sofa, desk and internet; very spacious. I would now say I recommend the brand and this particular hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ryan H, General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! It truly is a compliment knowing that our location is somewhat inconvenient for you, yet you still choose to stay with us. I am also glad that you were able to experience many of the hotel features such as our fitness center and our complimentary Skillet Breakfast. It is very gratifying to hear that the Hyatt Place Portland Airport is your hotel of choice when staying in Portland. Thanks again!