“Only hotel for our family!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station
Ranked #28 of 138 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bend, OR
“Only hotel for our family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Hyatt at Cascade Station has never ceased to meet and exceed our family's expectations. We discovered this hotel from a travel agent recommendation on our way to a family vacation in November 2011 in which we flew out of the Portland airport and needed somewhere to park our car. The Park/Stay/Fly option that Hyatt offers is unbeatable. We were left in awe after that quick stay that now whenever we have a free weekend and want to get away from town (we live in Bend, OR), we go to Portland and stay at the Hyatt. It is so close to the MAX that we don't ever have to drive anywhere. The shopping center across the street offers plenty to do without going very far. The hotel is my favorite part (and my kids!). We are a family of 4 and feel spoiled by all the space the hotel rooms offer. My boys each get their own bed thanks to the comfy hide-a-bed that we all sleep comfortably. The refrigerator and in room microwave make late night snacks affordable so the trip doesn't break the bank!! The continental breakfast has something to offer all of our picky pallets. My boys rave about the "breakfast sandwiches" and that's no small feat! The pool is always warm enough that even I enjoy a dip on every trip. Then there is the hot tub which allows for a relaxing end of a busy day. The workout facility has plenty of equipment to keep us on our weekly workout routing without missing a beat. The staff at the Hyatt are extremely pleasant and always willing to help. I appreciate the smiles on their faces no matter what time of day. If you are headed to Portland for a quick stay before hoping or a plane or would like a hotel for a mini-vacation, our entire family would recommend the Hyatt Cascade Station. You won't be disappointed - I promise!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pakapalaka
Timothy D, Assistant General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear pakapalaka,
Wow! Thank you so much for your kind review of the Hyatt Place Portland! I really appreciate your continued business and am happy to see that you are able to take advantage of so many amenities that the hotel has to offer. I will surely pass your compliments on to my staff and recognize them for their service. Thank you again and I hope to meet you on your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel. It's been a while since I have been here and everything is still great. Staff is friendly, they have food and alcohol, and they are close to shopping an the light rail. The indoor pool is perfect at the end of the day to relax before bed and the fitness center gets me going in the morning.

• Stayed March 2013
Hello Mdfle585,
I am so happy to hear that you chose Hyatt for a return visit to Portland and that you were able to enjoy our 24-hour pool/fitness center during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience about Hyatt Place Portland on TripAdvisor!
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

The room was very large and had all the basics covered. I prefer the configurations where the sink is outside the toilet/shower area as this room is designed. The free shuttle to and from the airport was also a very nice feature.
The food at the restaurant was OK, not great. The only other downside was the noise volume from hallways and other rooms was noticeable.
The staff are very courteous and anxious to help.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cmcfong
Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to review the Hyatt Place Portland on TripAdvisor! I apologize that the food from our Cafe' was not to your liking and would welcome any feedback you may have regarding your experience so that I may address this with my staff. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay otherwise and would love to welcome you back for another visit.

Thank you!
Tim Donnell
Assistant General Manager
503.288.2808
timothy.donnell@hyatt.com
Junction City, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were up for an event in downtown Portland and decided to stay here near the airport instead of being downtown because it was more budget friendly. We have stayed at this hotel before and have always had a good experience. The parking is free, as well as the breakfast. There is also a pool and jacuzzi and exercise room. We took the Transit into town and the stop is located close by. The staff was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: When I was making reservations, I had asked for an early check in and a higher floor room. While th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diane C
Dear Diane C,
Thank you for taking a moment to review the Hyatt Place Portland on TripAdvisor! I appreciate you choosing to come back to Hyatt and am glad to read that your special requests were able to be accommodated. I will be sure to pass your appreciation on to my staff!
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this property. It is located by the airport and very well sound-insulated. I stay in Hyatt Place properties quite frequently and this is certainly the best sound-insulated property I've stayed in yet. I can't really speak for the staff since we checked in and out via the kiosk. I can say that the kiosk is an incredibly quick way to get in and out of the hotel room. Like I said, I stay at these properties often, I know how they're laid out and I know the drill with breakfast, exercise facilities, etc. This was my first time trying the kiosk and it was a huge time saver.
The property is just a few blocks from the light rail stop. This is a huge plus to not have to navigate the downtown streets and pay for parking or leave my car in a sketchy park and ride. $5 per person for all day bus/train/streetcar riding is a pretty great deal and allowed us to see Portland better than any other method. It's only about a 30 minute ride from the hotel to downtown Portland, with service running into the late night hours. The property is also adjacent to quite a few stores and dining options, although limited to fast food and fast casual.
The room was immaculately clean and the bed is very comfortable. It's laid out just like every other Hyatt Place which is a big plus for me. I know where everything in the room is kept and how it works. We ordered a movie, reasonably priced at $4.99. Something interesting about Hyatt Places is the breakfast. There's always something great but it's never the same thing. In SLC it was the Oatmeal, in Boise the fruit. Here the sandwiches were delicious as were the mini muffins.
Hyatt Place is in my opinion the best choice in the category of limited-service business travel hotels. The Aloft next door might be worth a comparison, but it tends to price a little higher and has smaller rooms with no complimentary breakfast. A hint for all Hyatt properties: Costco members get at least 10% off at Hyatts. Enter "Costco" in the special offer field when reserving. Hope you enjoy the Hyatt Place Portland as much as I did!

Room Tip: the hotel is in the middle of both approach paths into PDX. Either side will get some airplane nois...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scott H
Hello Scott H, and thank you very much for your outstanding compliments! I am thrilled to see that you were able to take advantage of many of our hotel services and amenities; our easy-to-use Kiosks are definitely a favorite among many of our regular guests! Thank you, again, and I hope to meet you on your next visit to Portland!
Coolongolook
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

A group of Australian Aviators visiting the Spruce Goose reserved and prepaid two nights at this property. It took an hour to check in because they had lost the reservation and took an hour to check out because they wanted us to pay again, very bad experience. The property was typical Hyatt place well appointed, but run by inexperienced teenagers. We now book Hilton Garden Inn slightly more expensive but much better deal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Whereamaye
Dear Whereamaye:

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hyatt Place Portland on TripAdvisor. I am disheartened to read that your check-in and check-out were not smooth processes and assure you that this is not a common comment we receive. Although your group stayed with us last summer, I will be sure to review your concerns with my Sales and Front Desk teams to pinpoint and address any issues. It is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you on your next visit to Portland! If you would like, please feel free to contact me personally to further discuss your stay:

Tim Donnell
Assistant General Manager
503.288.2808
Kennewick, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed overnight and used the park and fly at this hotel. The front desk clerks were very helpful. It was a little odd trying to find where to park, as you have to go around back, but not a problem. We enjoyed our stay very much. We had a good night's sleep, and a yummy breakfast in the morning. When we returned from our trip a week later, and were picked up by the shuttle from the airport, it was raining and dismal. The driver dropped us right at the door so I wouldn't get wet. My husband went to get the truck to bring it around to put our luggage in it, and the battery was dead. He kept trying to get it started, but somehow the dome light had gotten bumped and turned on for the week that we were gone, and it was very dead. So I headed back into the hotel to see if the desk clerk could call a service to come out and try to jump the truck for us, and the shuttle driver saw me and asked if everything was okay. I told him we had a dead battery, and I was going to see if I could call someone. He said he thought he had some jumper cables in his work truck, and pretty soon, he came outside to help. He drove the van over, and helped my husband push out our truck so he could get under the hood to attach the cables. He told me to wait inside the truck, because I was going to get soaked, and they would take care of things. Our truck started up after a few minutes, and we were so grateful. My husband tried to give him some money for his help, but he wouldn't accept it. All in all, the hotel was very nice, but the service was exceptional.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mimi1122
Timothy D, Assistant General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Mimi1122,

I want to first apologize for the hassle that you encountered on your return trip to Portland! I can imagine that after traveling, a dead battery is the last thing you want to deal with - in the rain no less! I am thrilled to hear that our staff was able to take good care of you and your husband and offer their assistance. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to my team as well as the department head for our shuttle drivers!

We look forward to your next visit and thank you so much for taking the time to review Hyatt Place Portland on TripAdvisor!