“Much better than your average Mexican food”
Review of Fonda Rosa

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Fonda Rosa
Ranked #993 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed February 20, 2012

It seems that most restaurants which serve mexican food will serve you a giant plate of food that is of moderate quality. Fonda Rosa is different in that they take the same kind of care with cooking and choice of ingredients that you would expect from a fine European restaurant. The food costs more than it would at the typical Mexican chain restaurant and the portions are smaller but it tastes so much better.,

Reviewed November 26, 2011

I like this place, though I wish the menu were more interesting. The fillet (when they haven't run out) is excellent. It's run by a husband-wife team (he cooks), and they go the extra mile for the regulars. The drinks are good, and the salsa/guacamole is best ordered as soon as you're seated. The chips aren't made to order anymore, but they're still good.

1  Thank Eliza-in-pdx
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Our waitress at Rogue Brewery recommended this eatery and it was great! Would definitely recommend the margaritas to start. We ordered tortilla chips with salsa and guac, tacos, and enchilladas and they were all superb with the ingredients made from scratch. A definite hit and popular with the locals.

Reviewed October 5, 2009

We ventured out to this little place based on reviews posted on Yelp. It was a very small restaurant with very minimalist decor. At first glance it was not very impressive.

But the margarita was good, the chips and tortillas homemade, and the food was very good. Portions were a bit small - probably not an all-bad thing - but everything was tasty. You pay for chips, salsa, and guacamole but it's worth it. They are good.

My mom and I both had fish tacos (hers halibut and mine red snapper) both of which were fantastic, my daughter had a plain bean burrito, and my son had pork enchiladas, which he finished before I had a chance to try. He really enjoyed them.

I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to dine here, but if you happen to find yourself in the neighborhood I'd certainly recommend you give them a try.

Been to Fonda Rosa? Share your experiences!