“Great lunch service, wonderful bartending”

Davis Street Tavern
Ranked #569 of 4,292 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town - Chinatown
Cross street: NW 5th Avenue
Transit: On the Yellow and Green Max lines. 4 Blocks from the Red and Blue Max lines
Description: Enjoy fine dining in a modern tavern atmosphere. Inspired Northwest cuisine is served in a historic Portland landmark. High ceilings showcase the massive Doug Fir beams, walnut floors and original brickwork. A full bar and over 100 selections of wine focusing on Northwest producers, showcases the bounty the Northwest has to offer. Three distinct dining areas offers guests a quiet dining experience in the main dining room or livelier setting in the tavern. Located in the heart of Old Town, Davis Street Tavern is an essential Portland experience.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great lunch service, wonderful bartending”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We visited Davis Street twice on a recent trip to Portland. We found it first when searching for a quick lunch before a scheduled tour. We mentioned our time constraints and they kept on top of service getting us out on plenty of time without rushing us. And the food was great! Not inexpensive, but nice quality ingredients. We mentioned it was our honeymoon and they threw in the drink for us. Nice little touch. We found ourselves in the same neighborhood another late night and swung by for a couple of drinks. We had two different bartenders during our time. Both were helpful, had great drink recommendations and were good looking to boot. Definitely recommend checking them out if you're in the neighborhood.

• Visited March 2013

Portland, Oregon, United States
“Hasta la Vista Happy Hour Davis!”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I used to be a ‘regular’ at Davis Tavern given the proximity to my residence, however last time I was there, disappointment set in. I not only love duck but I have over the years become a connoisseur of duck prepared in different ways; Davis Tavern’s Duck Wings, Calabrian Chile Lime Happy Hour item was so dry I had to stop trying. I send the dish back and to my even greater disappointment I did not get a substitute nor did they get the item off my check. I support local businesses, but if the restaurant is not going to keep their quality up, then local patrons like myself will lose interest; and I have.
Most of the items in their Happy Hour menu have definitely lost their edge and the chef clearly has lost interest in keeping quality items for those Happy Hour after-work patrons who should be able to select good food experiences while enjoying a good time with friends.
I would not recommend Davis Tavern’s Happy Hour Menu.

• Visited January 2013
Berkeley
“Unexpected joy”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I happened on this place while waiting for the train south; it's a short walk from Union Station in Old Town. I spotted it from the window of the light rail car & jumped out, not wanting to spend too much time searching. It was a terrific find, mid afternoon, so it was relatively quiet. I ordered lunch of roasted beet & Asian pear salad, & emboldlened by its excellence I moved on to the seared halibut entree. This is the "forks & knives" category on the menu; they also have a "hands" category for sandwiches & soups. I decided to go the whole route & they served me a fine dessert of brandy & brown sugar bread pudding with a salted caramel gelato. I had a double espresso with my glass of port. What the heck; I was definitely going to enjoy this experience. The price would have been very reasonable, but my extravagance boosted it; still worth it. I had two lunches here during my three day stay & one dinner. There was live music a dinner, & they brought out some small but choice "experiment" (I forget what they call this) for us to try while we waited; I begged for another.

• Visited August 2012
McMinnville, Oregon
“Not bad...”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Decor is ok and the food is decent but not great. A bit spendy for what you are getting. I don't mind spending a little more for great food but this place isn't it. We got there just before dinner service and were probably the first dinner order but still waited for 25 minutes to get our food and saw others that had arrived after us get their meals before us. Service a wee bit slow.

Visited December 2012
Bremerton, WA
“Excellent, creative cocktails”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

After a walk through a somewhat sketchy neighborhood, we were rewarded with excellent food and drink. The cocktails were expertly crafted and delicious. Our bartender suggested a very good port and ice cream pairing, the perfect cap on a good night.
We'll be back.