The Grotto - National Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother
Ranked #5 of 452 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: An internationally renowned Catholic sanctuary set among 62 acres of botanical gardens, offering a place of peace and quiet reflection for all people. More than 100 beautiful statues,reflection ponds, and views offer inspiration to all who visit.
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

If I lived in Portland I'd come here frequently. Beautiful walk. Take elevator up to the top for spectacular views! Really peaceful enclosed overlook with oversized chairs to relax and take it all in.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,080)

Reviewed March 1, 2014

A real gem right in town. Took the train to Portland so had no car. Caught a city bus which took us directly there in about 30 minutes. Was a rainy cool night but still enjoyed the lights and decorations. Went into the chapel and listened to three groups. Amazing acoustics and wonderful addition to the holiday season.

1  Thank Anonymous671
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This is without a doubt one of my favorite places to bring visitors. There are two levels to the grounds and each one is peaceful and beautiful. At Christmas the lights are spectacular and the music angelic.

1  Thank Sheila B
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I expected a lot more during the holidays. There were lights on the trees, sure, but there were not really any elaborate lighting displays. You can purchase hot chocolate and listen to some local high school choirs in the church, but that's about it. I think we spent maybe 30 minutes there.

1  Thank Amanda H
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The lights are awesome, the music is festive and cheerful and it's always fun to be there during Christmas. I haven't been there during the non-Christmas holiday time, but I imagine it's still pretty peaceful. But, the nice part about the Festival of Lights is all the free Christmas concerts by local high schools and other organizations.