The Grotto - National Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother
Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Amazingly beautiful and peaceful.

Reviewed 4 days ago

from $99.00
from $69.00
from $79.00
1,165 results
All reviews the upper level meditation chapel festival of lights meditation room gift shop upper garden spiritual place religious statues non catholics elevator ride christmas season small fee visitor center columbia river beautiful garden visiting portland mass
Reviewed 4 days ago

I was quite surprised to find this place in Portland near some busy streets and rather close to the airport. I would have expected to find it in the countryside or mountains in Europe. The Grotto is much larger than I expected and is very beautiful. There is a large statue of Jesus carrying the cross in the area near the Grotto. Currently, that area is covered in Christmas lights which is a special treat. A church with beautiful paintings and large windows overlooking the nature is near the Grotto. There are two gift shops, one near the church and one closer to the parking lot. You can purchase a ticket to take the elevator (the only way up) to the top of the Grotto, but unfortunately when I arrived, the elevator was already closed for the day. If one walks away from the Grotto, back in the direction of the parking lot, there is Stations of the Cross, which I also, unfortunately had to miss. If I visit Portland again, I will definitely come back to the Grotto to see the sections I was unable to see on this past trip.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Went on a day trip with my teen son not knowing what to expect. The setting is beautiful even before you go up the super cool elevator to the upper gardens. It is a Catholic sanctuary full of religious art and tradition. Though we are not Catholic it spurred a lot of thoughtful conversation about religion. It was a nourishing place and experience.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Located close to busy roads and highways, once you enter the area all outside noise seems to dissipate.
A nice place to come for a quiet, reflective respite from the outside world.
There are 2 gift shops located on property for your religious icon needs.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

It was lovely even 3rd week of October. Be prepared to stroll at your own pace. Nice paved trails with something beautiful around every corner. Parking was free and street level is free but if you want to go up on the 100 foot cliff to more beautiful gardens and mediation spots is 6 dollars a person and you take an elevator up the side of the cliff. Beautiful statues and bubbly ponds and flowers. There are nuns walking around and smile and speak pleasantries. There is daily mass in the cathedral and on ground level there is outdoor seating looking inside a cave area in the cliff with
Virgin Mary inside the cave. Was beautiful

1  Thank deborahandjim
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Lights, music shows (Included in the admission fee). It's a beautiful place for everyone to go during the CHristmas time.

Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

Back in 2012 on our first visit to Oregon we stayed in the nearby Travelodge and the lady on reception said “There is a beautiful Grotto nearby that is worth a visit even if you’re not religious “. We went and found it incredibly peaceful and like another world away from everything.
So in this trip we specifically came to visit.
It reminds me of a notice in the old Cathedral in Coventry UK that states “you don’t need to share our faith to find peace in our Cathedral “
It’s a great place to remember our passed family and friends and pray for the intentions of the living. Most people have faith, it may not be the same as mine, but we must respect theirs just as the must
respect mine.

Reviewed October 3, 2018

This is a sanctuary and place for meditation. Hard to believe such a place is so close to a large, important city. While it may not be terribly interesting to followers of other religions, but a real “must see” for Catholics.

Reviewed September 26, 2018

I'll start off by saying I'm a Catholic, so visiting this place was more than just a "tourist destination" for me. That being said, there is a BEAUTIFUL garden at the top that is worth the walk through - there is a nominal entrance fee to go see it. It is immaculately maintained and the walk around was quite serene & peaceful. Good for doing personal reflection - which is what I think the point is (a meditation/prayer garden). There is also a special prayer room, that has an incredible view of the mountainous landscape of Oregon. Inside, there is a replica of the Pietà sculpture (the original is in St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican). Silence is required in there, so a family may not want to bring young children that are full of energy into it. Just outside the prayer room are lovely water fountains that provide such a calming effect to your mood. Throughout the garden there are numerous benches that you can sit to ponder, or rest! There is also a designed pathway that follows the Rosary (free!) on the lower level, which is very nice too! Aside from the garden and the Rosary path, there is an outdoor chapel, which is where the Sorrowful Mother in the Grotto is located. Simply touching to be able to see it. There is an indoor chapel as well, which has beautiful stained-glass! Both offer Mass. Unfortunately, timing didn't allow for me to attend service during my visit to Portland, and the Grotto. The gift shop has some great souvenirs and some other items for sale. All in all, this is worth the visit, and it's good for all ages, so long as the more energetic ones can be respectful of their surroundings. The garden is wheelchair accessible (elevator up, and then paved path), but the Rosary path is not really good for anyone in a motorized or manual chair. It's also probably a bit challenging for those with walkers and canes. Just something to keep in mind.

Reviewed September 25, 2018

For several years we have wanted to visit here but until this month, the timing of our trips. didn't make it happen. We made a point of stopping an extra day in Portland on our way from AZ to WA and stayed about a mile away at the Nordic Inn. We had nice weather to go. Parking was great except I was a little uncomfortable with all the signs stating not to leave valuables in your car. (When you are on a long trip you always have stuff in your car) We parked in the lot as close to the offices as we could an hoped for the best. When we returned there were no problems. Heard later it is because of all the drug problems. The Grotto grounds are beautiful. We did not realize before getting there the the only way to the upper gardens ( which is a lot to see) is by was of an enclosed elevator up about four or five stories. My husband is claustrophobic, so was unable to go up. Asked if there was a walking path and informed that there was not. The open air church amongst the forest setting is beautiful. We attended the noon mass at the chapel. There are buildings with exhibits and pictures. My husband stayed sitting in the outdoor pews while I went up in the elevator. There is much to see up there. Stations of the cross, the first small chapel, statues dedicated to other cultures and a monastery The grounds are beautiful. Definitely a place to see and to go to relax. A nice gift shop also. Apparently beautiful at Christmas time.

1  Thank SharonLDRN
Reviewed September 24, 2018

this is an incredible garden to tour, with many religious statues, as you follow the paths thru the gardens. Plus has amazing views across the valley, from the cliff-top location.