“Great gem in the Pearl with a fabulous wine list, spectacular service & good happy hour menu.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of MetroVino - CLOSED

MetroVino
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Pearl
Cross street: Northrup
Transit: The Portland street car has two convenient stops each a block or less from Metrovino on NW 10th and Northrup or NW 12th and Northrup. the street car is our suggested form of transportation when travelling from downtown Portland, the convention center, Rose Quarter, or Nob Hill with trains stopping every 10 minutes or so.
Description: MetroVino is a restaurant and bar located in the north end of Portland's Pearl District, just a few walking blocks north of Jamison Square Park and on the Portland Street Car line. We offer an inspired menu featuring refined yet rustic cuisine. Executive Chef Gregory Denton uses time-honored techniques and flavor combinations to prepare fresh, local ingredients simply and in season. Using both an Enomatic wine system and a Pearlage sparkling system, the bar features 80 wines by the taste, glass or bottle, accompanied by a strong list of locally distilled and internationally renowned spirits and beers.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Met a friend here for dinner on a week night last week and was pleasantly surprised by the service & quality of the food. Our server was very attentive, yet didn't mind that we monopolized the table in his section as we chatted for a couple of hours. Loved the wine selection, as well as the diverse happy hour menu. (The burger was fabulous, by the way). Actually, we loved all 5 dishes we ordered. However, we found the Caesar salad was really heavy with the anchovy taste. (Not my preference, as I'm not a fish eater). On the other hand, the chocolate cake with beet sauce and panna cotta desserts were completely delicious & still make my mouth water 5 days later! We will definitely be back.

Portland
“Excellent Neighborhood Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

The quality of food at Metrovino is exceptional. Service is great. Tried Metro for the first time during their happy hour and we were all pleasantly surprised. We ordered everything on the happy hour menu and each item was made to perfection. My husband and I go back there regularly for dinner. What we love from the dinner and happy hour menu, sweet potato goat cheese ravioli, pancetta wrapped trout, maple brined pork, clam chowder, chacuterie and cheese selection is pretty good, smoked trout and pbr, mushroom risotto, beet salad, short ribs and the bruschetta.

Visited January 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Limited but creative menu--it works!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

We enjoy our occasional visits to Metrovino. Really liked my starter of smoked trout and braised smoked por belly served as something of a salad. The combination was delicious. For a main course we ordered duck confit. Crispy yet tender and exuding rich flavor.

Our service was fine but not extraordinary. Waiter was good but seemed bored.

We did not take advantage of ther remarkable selections of wine by the glass or their interesting wine flights.

Not overly expensive -- we'll be back from time to time. We'll also try their happy hour featuring charcuterie.

San Francisco, California
“serious food and wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

Went here on a recommendation from a firend who is a local food writer. It exceeded expectations. It was a Sunday night and they were not terribly busy, but the service was impeccable. They have over 90 wines by the glass and there are a variety of wine flights available. We started with the charcutrie palte and it was fantastic. Highly recommended if you have 4 or more people. Everyone's selections were outstanding and the bill was not outrageous.

• Visited January 2012
Portland, Oregon, USA
“Very well might be our last visit to Metrovino”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

My husband and I have eaten at Metrovino several times, and he has taken clients and business associates to the restaurant as well. It always seems like something is a bit off - almost right - but somehow someone doesn't have a good experience. The wine list is nice and has many options. The menu does not. But that said, there are always good options for a night out - as long as you don't frequent too often. So that isn't a real problem for anyone.
The problem we see is a bit attitude, a bit service, and this last time - quality of food.
This is a restaurant that has an attitude that it is better than it is - makes you think they think you may not deserve to be there.
The service is generally slow but not so much you wouldn't come back.
But, this past time, my dinner entree could not be eaten. It was supposed to be squash ravioli with smoked goat cheese and a vegetable rich broth. The idea of the sweetness of the squash and the smokiness and creaminess of the goat cheese really appealed. But, the only taste from the ravioli was smoke. And, the broth was so salty you felt like they threw a couple bouillon cubes into some water. The combination of way too much salt and way too much smoke was terrible. What a disappointment. The creaminess, smokiness, and sweetness should have been spectacular.
Also interesting was that I ate one ravioli and set my silverware down. My husband ate his entree. The wait person did not notice I didn't eat my meal. Weird.
When we were talking about our experience on the way home, my husband said that it always seems that one person in a larger group ends up leaving his meal. Interesting. He said that knowing how my meal tasted made him scratch Metrovino from the rotation of restaurants he uses for business.
I know that a simple taste of the dish on the way out of the kitchen would have caused any good chef to pause and redo the plate.
Portland is a city rich in restaurant options. If Metrovino is to survive, it will need to bring its food up to the caliber of the wine list.

• Visited November 2011