“Appalling”

Ranked #119 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Southeast U.S.
“Appalling”
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Nice pic of the pool--too bad the actual pool is filthy (the water in the jacuzzi is actually brown because of the dirt on the tile and concrete in it). I arrived with a coupon for $59.99 and was told by the desk clerk--who appeared to be approximately 14 years old--that the hotel was "not honoring" that coupon "today." WHAT? I asked to speak to her supervisor and was told that none was onsite. At my insistence, she finally picked up the phone and had a brief conversation with the manager who was somewhere offsite and (I am guessing) her aunt. It was clear that the manager was asking the teen how many guests had checked into the hotel and how many reservations had been made. Finally, the girl looked at me and said, "Okay, she says we can honor the coupon after all." I was open-mouthed in disbelief. What kind of business publishes a coupon and then decides whether or not to honor it depending on how business is that day? Wish I had left then, but foolishly I accepted the room and stayed the night. I discovered that the bathtub had hair in it and I am fairly sure the bed had been napped in, probably by a staff member, and then carefully remade, I can't tell you how disgusting it is to crawl into a bed and slowly begin to realize that the sheets and pillowcases still stink of its last occupant. Not yet aware of the condition of the pool, I decided to try a swim. I found the jacuzzi tepid (and flithy) and the swimming pool ice cold (and also filthy. The hotel is not very old and it looks to me as though the pool had not been cleaned since it was installed. The concrete sides were visibly dirty.) At 10 pm, I was disturbed by what sounded like a party in the lobby below me. On investigating, I discovered my 14-year-old desk clerk friend lounging on the lobby sofa with her boyfriend, watching TV, which was turned up so loud I thought one of them must be deaf. It was then that I realized that there was no adult staff member onsite--only Joni and Chachi in the lobby. It's unelievable to me that a hotel can be run that way and i actually think it's illegal. Next morning I made a quick exit, but I did stop in the dining room for the complimentary hot breakfast. Mistake. The coffee was seriously bad--this morning's teenaged staffer apparently didn't know how to make it. The donuts were about three months past stale, and the milk for cereal was just souring. Delightful. I can't believe this place is still in business. I would have been more comfortable, rested, and well-fed at a campground.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank Adventurer09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed August 15, 2008

This hotel is pretty bad. The rooms are run-down, the wireless internet is weak and unreliable, the service is slow, they were all out of caffeinated coffee for the rooms, the free breakfast is a joke and the toaster didn't work (and that got only a shrug from the front desk), the keys disable themselves on a daily basis, the air conditioning knows only an "ice box" setting and is very noisy, etc. There must be better places to stay in the area. Yuck.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank Marfak

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed April 28, 2008

In fact, I cannot believe the Comfort Inn chain would want their name associated with this dump. We were there about the same time as RYSavannah below -- late July 2007 -- thankfully for only one night. There is no need for me to repeat what the other reviews have already said below. Read them carefully -- every word of them is true!

When we got there and observed what a mistake we had made, we tried to get a room in some other places nearby, but were unable to, except for some very high-priced suites -- so we simply said to ourselves: we can handle it for just one night -- it was the first "springboard night" on our Oregon vacation last year.

My biggest concern was the safety of our brand-new rental car. I was very concerned about the security, seeing all the tall chain-link fences around the property. I breathed a very large sigh of relief when we came out the next morning, to find it untouched. I see we can count our blessings -- as you can read in the next review below that he wasn't so lucky -- his car WAS broken into.

I also had the very same impression of the staff: "creepy" -- amen, brother. Boy were we glad to get out of there!

DO NOT STAY HERE !!!!

And Choice Hotels Group: you should be ashamed to have your name associated with this place !!

• Liked — Just getting out of it with ourselves & car unharmed
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything, but especially the insecure feeling
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Weston66
Canal Fulton, OH
Reviewed April 19, 2008

I recently stayed at this hotel and it was absolutely terrible. The curtains and bedspread were stained, pool area looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years (used bandaids and other trash around the pool, bottom of the spa was yellow). The whole place simply smelled stale and the staff could best be described as creepy. When we went outside the next morning to find our rental car broken into and some things missing the hotel staff was zero help. When we told them about it, they already knew that it had happened, but didn't bother to tell us, call the police, etc. When we asked about the security camera that was pointing in the direction of our car the manager inferred that it wasn't really on or wasn't recording anything. AAA gives this place three diamonds, which is obviously an incredible oversight. Based on my experience, I will not be staying at this or any other Comfort Suites and will not be using the AAA guidebook ever again.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Pretty much the entire place.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank OhioTraveler330
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed June 29, 2007

After staying at an excellent Comfort Inn in Mountain View the night before this stay, we were horribly disappointed in our experience at this hotel. We chose this location because it was the closest to my step-daughter's wedding reception hall. If we had not been so constrained in location, time, and internet access, we would not have stayed beyond the first night.

When we arrived (late Thursday evening with a confirmed reservation) they sent us up to a room - but that room door was open and the room had been slightly used (with the pillow pulled out on top of the bed). We were given another room and the night manager snidely told us that there was nothing really wrong with the other room!

Our room (actually the whole hotel) was smelly (like the carpet had experienced several too many parties) and everything was worn. For example, the hand towel rack fell off the wall, the dresser drawers did not slide, the pillows were skimpy and few (three small pillows on a king sized bed!). Maid service was lackadaisical. When I returned to the room to get ready for the wedding - at 2 p.m. after leaving at 5 a.m., the room was still not cleaned.

I found myself squished into the one elevator with a bevy of chatting maids with a large laundry tub three times in the two and a half days that I stayed there. At every time of the day, there were maid carts (often more than one) and boxes of stuff in the hallways. I couldn't access the wireless internet from my room. Although there was an ethernet connection, there was no cable and the front desk didn't have any. So I wound up going down the hall and sitting next to the elevator to retrieve my email! Even the selection of TV channels was crummy!

Other than being closer to the reception hall than any other place, this was an undesirable location with nothing of interest around it. It is far out of Portland and not convenient to light rail. I would NEVER recommend to anyone that they stay here. The place is in serious need of a makeover!

• Liked — Cheap Room
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Another_TravelerA
Long Beach, CA.
Reviewed August 5, 2005

The hotel is reasonably attractive and the front desk people are pleasant, the rooms are large and come with a microwave and mini-refrigerator. The room itself had numerous items in disrepair and housekeeping was sub-par. The pool area, while not unattractive, was unsanitary. The water was very cloudy and had a strange salt-like odor. Our bathing suites all stunk so bad the next day that we had to put them away until we could wash them. Also, the hotel is not in the most attractive part of town (though it is only a short drive to the Columbia River Gorge... an absolute must see!!!). Overall we were disappointed and would not want to return to this property.

NOTE: This hotel should be listed as a Gresham hotel (not Portland)... it has a Gresham address and is located about 20 miles East of Portland.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank grram1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Econo Lodge at Port of Portland
Four Points by Sheraton Portland East
Days Inn Portland/Gresham
Chestnut Tree Inn Portland Mall 205
Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham
Hampton Inn Portland East
Hampton Inn Portland East
#15 of 141 in Portland

Been to GuestHouse Inn & Suites Portland / Gresham? Share your experiences!