“Shabby”
Review of Portland Suites

Portland Suites
Ranked #121 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 14, 2012

One ice machine for 4 floors, and it was out of order as was the spa. Rooms smelled of smoke but it was supposed to be non-smoking. Bed was decent but there was an odor to the shets that bothered us.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Ray F

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here because of value for a hotel with an indoor pool close to Portland. Went to the zoo and the Portland Pet Expo with very little difficulty. The breakfast is not great, but with so many choices relatively close by car, it was not a problem.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank RegieSV
Reviewed August 20, 2012

2nd time that we stayed here.
Great price, as we used TripAdvisor ($49.99 prior to tax & $56.24 with tax).
Has a heated pool & hot tub. The H2O in these appeared murky. I don't know if that is because
of H2O mineral content or ?.
Breakfast was undesirable ((no orange juice from orange juice dispensor, white bread (not wheat
or some other more wholesome type), apparently only 1 type of jam for toast).

Room Tip: If you don't like noise, the upper (4 th) floor might be less noisy & rooms on the south sid...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2012

So many things wrong with this place. 1. every bathroom vent fan in the building was disabled...I checked nearly 10 rooms with the front desk. they are trying to save on their electric bill...mmmm, leaves your room not smelling like roses. 2. breakfast? if you like cocoa puffs and stale bagels... and some white slop akin to wallpaper glue, not fit for a woofie. 3. the pool was so unmaintained you could not see the bottom thru the murkey water. 4. bathroom in "pool" area was unisex and had a table lamp with a frayed wire on the sink!!! my guess is, the light would not work once they disabled the vent fan. electrocuting guests is an option?. I asked why they couldn't go accross the street and buy a few pieces of fruite for their guests.. their reply: "we are best hotel in area, we don't have to compete" TV's ... I gave better away to Goodwill 2 years ago. For the money, this place is terrrible. You might as well stay at a cheaper place... you will need to get breakfast elsewhere anyway!. Do not stay here for your own health and safety.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank George S
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Getting here with public transit was easy enough. The TriMet Red Line until NE 99st and then the 77 bus. The hotel is clean, there is a pool, sauna, small fitness room and jacuzzi open until midnight but no supervision (stating that for folks with children).
My room was spacious but after 1 night I had to be moved as there was water coming into my room from the room above just outside of the bathroom.
I had issues dialing out using the room phone and the clerk couldn't figure it out. There's a hallway payphone but that doesn't work either. We finally got the phone to work so if you are without cell phone, it can be tricky.
Access to downtown via public transit can be achieved by taking the 77 bus direct (a long ride if you are willing) or a short mile down 181 (there's a bus there too but I walked it) to the blue TriMet line.
There is a grocery store, 7 11, quiznos, wendys etc just outside the hotel which is convenient.
The only negative I have for this hotel is the breakfast.
It is oranges, sausage (or sometimes replaced with biscuit and cream sauce), cereal, bread, bagels.
It could use more variety of fruits like apples and bananas and like many mid range hotels, perhaps a waffle iron section with waffle batter and syrup.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I stay in this class of hotel about 8 times a year, and have never come across a more disappointing property. I showed up at 4:30pm, and got the key to my room. I bring my luggage up, to find that the maids are still cleaning my room. At 4:30, well past check in time! I bring my stuff back down to the lobby, wait 10 mins, then finally get into my room.

Noise was not a problem overnight, but a fellow traveler in an adjoining room rtells me that he was kept up all night by footsteps in the room above him and a homeless couple living in their car across the street, yelling and cooking BBQ. Clearly this is not the first night they lived there!

Next morning, I go to make coffee in my room. No regular, just decaf. Also scratchy towels for my shower

I make my way down to the breakfast room. Only biscuits and gravy, and cereal. No fruit to put on the cereal. No yoghurt. No eggs or English muffins (they did have toast). As I said before, I stay in these type hotels fairly often, and the biggest reason why I choose them is the breakfast. I like to relax and read as I start my day. The breakfast options were so poor, that I won't stay here again, or in any guesthouse suites. I'm off to mcdonalds, which at least has a variety of foods.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 2, 2012

With attention from Management this complex could score much higher. Continental Breakfast is lacking and seems Not to be important to warrant anything more than a minimal staff effort. A Local Grocery Store is walking distance but Facility only offers just the basics, bread, two childrens brands of cereal and orange, apple juice and coffee or hot chocolate. Parking Spaces are very tight, pool was open however other areas where regularly not maintained and therefore never open to residents. Children regularly running thru the halways. Daily newspaper was not current. Rooms were clean but housekeeping schedule was under performing when given a chance to do well they like the Overall Facility came up Short.

Room Tip: Would Confirm if Different Areas were Repaired if you would be counting on a working Sauna or Weight...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple