“Our Laptop was stolen from our room!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of GuestHouse Inn & Suites Portland / Gresham

GuestHouse Inn & Suites Portland / Gresham
Ranked #116 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Delta, Canada
“Our Laptop was stolen from our room!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

We have stayed at the hotel two times, the hotel is clean the beds are fine but our laptop computer went missing out of our room and the staff although apologetic did nothing to help us. We had to contact the police and make a report. The staff basically felt we had misplaced our notebook computer and half the power cord. The management told us no person had entered our room except housekeeping and their staff does not steal. All they offered in compensation was a one night free stay for the next time we are in town. We will never stay at the Guesthouse hotel and will do our best to share how we were treated!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank dgraces

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Burien, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

The room was large, although a bit dark. There was even a missing light bulb over the sink. Lighting was barely adequate. There were three phones in the room (including one in the bathroom) but no clock. The room was clean, and had a mini-fridge and microwave as promised. We appreciated the no smoking and no pets rules.

The "free hot breakfast buffet" was spartan at best. Given the price of the room, I wasn't expecting much. And that's what we got - not much. The orange juice tasted like Sunny Delight. My wife said the apple juice was equally bad. The fresh waffles promised at http://www.portlandsuitesoregon.com/ were nowhere to be seen.

The two days we were there, the sauna was closed for repairs. The hot tub broke and was closed for the second day of our stay. But the staff was very friendly and the price made it worth coming back to… until we were getting ready to leave.

I had a printout of my reservation with me. The checkout time was 12:00, so we were lazy on checkout day. Then, at about 11:15 the front desk called to ask how soon we would be leaving. Would we be out before 12:30? We assured her that we would leave before noon. We made a trip to the car with our luggage then returned to discover that we were locked out of our room. I went to the desk and told her we were lock out. Her reply was, "Yeah, it's after 11:00!" I protested that checkout time was noon. She told me, "No, it's 11:00." I told her that I had my printed reservation and that it said noon. She sneered at me, took my key card, and reprogrammed it to let us back in. A minute later we were back at the desk to check out (at 11:45). I showed her the 12:00 checkout time on my reservation printout. She said, "Well it's 11:00." My wife told her that someone had called 30 minutes ago to ask us when we were leaving. The desk clerk admitted that it had been her. My wife asked, "We told you we would be out before noon, so why did you lock us out?" Her reply was, "I didn't do it; the computer did it." She was not apologetic in the least; she handed us our invoice then turned her back as if to avoid any further contact. I had been looking forward to staying there again on our next trip to Portland, but her attitude meant that we left on a negative note.

This hotel needs to get its act together regarding its promises, e.g. checkout time and breakfast features. It also wouldn't hurt to fix the pool and sauna ... and to move whoever was at the front desk the morning of January 2, 2012 to a job than doesn't involve interacting with customers.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KendianaJones
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

The lady on the desk on night shift was very accommodating! Every time we went downstairs she would cheerily greet us and remind us if we needed any help she was there. Other staff members even took apart the pipes in the bathroom sink to retrieve a piece of jewellery that had fallen down!

Was extremely pleased with the spacious King room, with a convenient couch and coffee table set up. Can't speak for the breakfast though, as we never made it down in time.

Would definitely recommend Guest House, so much so that we returned just two weeks later!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank stars1989
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

I don't know about you but finding dried blood stains on the towels is a major turn off for me. I informed the staff attendant on hand and subsequently informed the manager in the morning. I was informed that what likely happened is that housekeeping mixed up clean towels with dirty soiled towels.

My concern is that if they could "mix" the dirty towels with clean ones, then it raises serious concerns about the cleanliness of everything else, like bed sheets.

What makes matters worse, they didn't even bother asking me what room I stayed in.

The motivation for writing this review is based on how the hotel establishment addressed my concerns which sadly turned out not to be the case. If they had treated me differently I don't think I would have bothered to write about this.

• Stayed December 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

Yakima, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

Me and 2 friends stayed here Nov 4th and 5th. The room we had was very nice sized with 2 queen beds and also a sitting area with a hide-a-bed sofa. Beds were comfy, room was clean. We even used the indoor pool and hot tub and both were nice and clean. This hotel is within walking distance of several fast food places, and also Sheri's restaurant. Safeway is just across the street and there is also a Dollar Tree and a Fashion Bug for shopping. Liquor store only about a mile south on 181st. Good location, close to airport, and only a couple of exits from the Outlet Mall. Easy freeway access too. Continental breakfast is included in your stay. I will definitley stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and did not hear any noise from anywhere. Very peaceful for sleeping.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peter K, Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Portland / Gresham, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed our hotel. We hope to you see you again during your future travels.

Yours truly,

Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

The room we stayed in had a Jacuzzi. It was clean and felt good to sit in after a long drive. The room was well kept and clean. Bed was very comfortable. Didn't get a chance to try the pool and hot tub but they looked clean also. The breakfast was ok. Would recommended to others.

• Stayed September 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your much appreciated comments. We value the feedback and glad you enjoyed our large jacuzzi suite. Maybe next time you will get the chance to enjoy our wonderful pool and relaxing hot tub.

Your truly,

San Jose, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

Me and my wife recently stayed in a jacuzzi suite room at the Portland suites. After a long day with friends and family we looked forward to relaxing. Well that didn't happen because upon arrival we noticed the pool was empty and car with a broken window sitting in the parking lot. After checking in we entered our room and settled down. My wife took a shower. I turned on the TV that had no volume then looked around the room and noticed what looked like a drop of dried redish substance on the rim of the really dusty spa tub. I took a towel from the bath and wiped the substance that appeared to be blood, possibly from the cracked tile surrounding the tub. I immediatly informed my wife and we got another room. After a inspection of this "suite" the carpets were stained and cigarette burns on the comforter in our NON smoking room. This tub needed a cleaning too before entering. We striped the burnt blanket off and the bed seemed to be clean. It's morning and we go to the continental breakfast and found it to be worse then the rooms. The fruit consisted of dried apples, not dried just been there for awhile, no waffles like advertised. Two cups of milk in the gallon. Horrible coffee. Orange and apple juice that tasted funny. After all this we decided to check out early and go to breakfast elsewhere. Upon checking out we inquired about the 10% discount that is advertised online and the same girl that checked us in at 8pm was there to check us out at 10am. She could not give the discount so she called her manager who refused to honor their advertisment. Disapointed in the whole ordeal we paid the bill and left in a hurry. I've stayed in $60 hotels with questionable reputations and had better experiences with them. Please stay elsewhere if you want a nice room at a fair price. Would not recommend. You should sleep well in a $100+ a night room, you won't find that here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Polarbear001
Thank you very much for your honest feedback. Since your stay we have remedied all issues, including the pool which was not functioning due to much need repairs. We hope to see you in the near future and I will personally guarantee that you will have comfortable and convenient stay.

Yours sincerely,