“Beautiful rooms, uncomfortable beds”

Comfort Suites Southwest
Ranked #57 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed October 9, 2005

Most of the features of this hotel were excellent. The rooms were huge. We stayed in a room with two queen size beds plus a hide-a-bed sofa. So the kids didn't have to share a bed. The rooms were also fairly quiet. I especially liked the fact that the windows opened so we didn't have to depend on the air conditioner.

The indoor pool is about 25 feet long. It goes from 3 ft deep on the shallow end to 4 ft deep on the deep end. So my 7 year old son who sinks like a stone had about half the pool to play in. They also had towels in the pool area. So many hotels make you ask for pool towels at the front desk, so this was nice. We didn't try the hot tub, but it looked clean and big.

The continental breakfast included hot choices like waffles and egg muffins. They also kept the fruit bowl stocked. The only downside was that my 10 year old who will normally eat anything didn't like the malt in the waffle batter. Luckily, they had hot chocolate, so she was happy.

The business center was nice. There were 2 free internet connected workstations with a printer and fax machine.

They had discounts at some of the local restaurants as well, which was an added bonus.

The only downside of the hotel was the HARD beds. It's been about 3 weeks since we stayed there and my shoulder still hurts. My husband ended up seeing a massage therapist because of the aches and pains he got sleeping on the bed, and he generally likes sleeping on a hard bed. After 2 nights, I moved into the hide-a-bed with my 7 year old. It was a typical lumpy sofa bed, but at least it wasn't as hard. I'm not sure why such a nice hotel would mar the overall experience by providing such uncomfortable beds. My husband and I are in our 50s, so maybe younger travelers wouldn't have the same problems. Our kids slept just fine.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank MaryVC

Reviewed October 30, 2003

My family and I stayed at the hotel over the summer. The rooms are very clean and service was great. Kids enjoyed new hot breakfast items, waffles especially, and the pool. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2005
8  Thank BZGuy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Hospitality Inn
Comfort Inn Portland
#63 of 144 in Portland
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Tigard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square

Been to Comfort Suites Southwest? Share your experiences!