“Fit my needs to a tee!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport

Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport
Ranked #69 of 137 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
“Fit my needs to a tee!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The rooms are clean and well insulated from interior noise. The water pressure and temp was perfect for me(Usually pressure is too low or water is not hot enough. The free laundry services was a big plus(clean and convenient). I felt safe leaving the hotel at night and it was conveniently located to most areas. The staff was helpful and pleasant. Housekeeping was unobtrusive and did a good job. The only drawback is you can hear planes occassionally(near airport). Ample parking. I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank athena5365
PDXCWGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear athena5365,

Thank you so much for giving us feedback about your stay with us. We appreciate you mentioning the cleanliness of our rooms as we try to keep our hotel looking as new as possible. Also, thank you for mentioning our free laundry and the friendliness of our staff. We enjoy the opporunity to have you as a guest and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Nathan Storms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Springfield, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I loved this place! It was so clean and I really enjoyed the kitchen. I couldnt belive it even had its own stove,including pots and pans and plates! Booking this place was a accident. I didnt mean to click book room,and when I did it let me know that the money would instantly be taken out of my account. I called the hotel and they told me they couldnt refund the money because its agianst policy because It was booked online. So my boyfriend and I travled to Portland just for the room and Im glad we did!

-Nice flat screen TV
-Comfortable Bed
-Luxury bathroom
-dvd player in room/DVD's at the front desk

Great place to stay! Highly recommend.
Room price ranges from 90-120$

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Michelle T,

Your tagline brings a smile to our staff. We are glad you stayed with us. We are sorry for any confusion in regards to your booking. There is an option on our website to book an advance purchase reservation which is non-cancellable and non-changeable, however, if an individual does not anticipate needing to cancel it will save them between 15 and 20 %. Thank you again, we hope to see you again soon.

Garland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Large and clean rooms with kitchens, free laundry and parking, nice staff. Close to airport, and scenic day trips. Not so close to Portland neighborhoods, college and local flavor. Lots of traffic but next to mall with lots of free parking and rail service. Shuttle to mall offered but we didn't use it. Cascade mall has several places to eat and buy groceries and supplies - even a clinic that came in handy.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Johannah707 ,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. I am particularly thankful you mentioned the cleanliness of our hotel and our nice staff as we strive to create all the comforts of home you would expect. Also, thank you for mentioning our proximity to downtown Portland and the scenic outdoors that the Northwest has to offer. We hope to see you again soon.

Tumwater, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the Candlewood Suites on a reverse park and fly package for our trip to Jamaica. The parking spots are a little tight buy they worked since our car is a VW Jetta. The place is clean and we had no issue with the room and the beds were very comfortable with nice amenities just like an apartment. The issue was that someone had turned off our ice maker in the frig and we had no ice so we went looking for ice and were told by the front desk they have no ice and that we could drive to get some. They did not offer to get ice from another room or anything it was like they didnt really care if we got ice or not and it was not their problem.
The other issue that really was a problem was that they did not have their own shuttle and they use the shuttle from the hotel next door, La Quinta. When we arrived the first night to drop off the car to start our vacation we talked to the front desk and they assured us that the shuttle was never more than 30 minutes away so they could take us to the airport anytime we wanted. So we went to dinner and then returned and informed the front desk that we were ready for the shuttle. They called the "shared" shuttle and said it was on the way. Well needless to say 1.5 hours later we finally got that shuttle. We kept checking with the desk and they kept assuring us it was on the way but we never got a straight answer why but we almost missed our flight because of the shuttle. The front desks solution to the problem was for us to call our own cab and pay for it ourselves!!! We do not do park and fly to pay for our own transportation to the airport. We do lots of traveling and use park and fly quite often but we WILL NOT return to Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank AIsunandfun
Randy B, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Alsunandfun,
Thank you for choosing The Candlewood Suites Portland Airport Hotel to accomodate you and your vehicle during your last stay with us. I appologize for the issues with the shuttle service provided. Please contact myself or Nathan Storms(General Manager) at the hotel,503-255-4003, we would like to discuss the issue further and avoid any problems in the future. I will continue to work with my front desk staff to ensure all guest shuttle needs are fullfilled in a timely manner. The hotel will provide alternate transportation if a situation like this arises. We appreciate you mentioning the comfort of our beds and cleanliness of our suites. Our goal is to make your home away from home as comfortable and quiet as possible. We look forward to hosting you in the future.
Randy Baggett
Operations Manager
San Ramon, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I am pleased with what this establishment has to offer. I am working here in Portland for a few weeks and was placed here by the agency involved with the contract. Lots of freebies, 24 hour free laundry (well maintained), 24 hour fitness center, free coffee, free shuttle, free internet and VERY friendly staff. The room is adequately sized (I am in a studio) and room is refreshed (immaculately) once a week. It is close to the airport, so expect jet noises and very brief outages of the satellite reception (5 to 10 seconds) It could have 2 elevators for it's size, but I am a patient fellow, so no worries. The rooms are quiet and the beds are quite comfy. I have been here 2 weeks and will remain for a few more weeks, but I feel that the staff goes out of their way to be accommodating and friendly. I would probably enjoy staying @ other Candlewoods, if they are similar to this one. I have stayed in other extended stay facilities elsewhere and they tend to not be as nice and nickel and dime for anything and everything. This is a refreshing change. It is not the Ritz, but I don't expect it to be. It is a fairly new facility and nicely appointed. It gave me a pleasant experience, for the first time being in Portland.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear max4urmoney,
Thank you for your thorough review of our Candlewood Suites Extended Stay Portland Airport hotel. We appreciate you sharing your experience here with other travelers to Portland. I appreciate you mentioning our friendly and helpfull staff. We strive to provide excellent customer service for all guests. I will make sure to pass these compliments on to my front desk staff. Also thank you for mentioning the size and spaciousness of our all suites hotel rooms, as we are the perfect fit whether on temporary assignment or in the area for just a few days. Thank you again for staying with us during your first time to Portland. We look forward to accomodating your stay in the future.
Randy Baggett
Operations Manager
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We picked Candlewood Suites based on the ratings, which were higher than Embassy Suites, and what appeared to be a competitive price, and we were well rewarded for our efforts. We were impressed by the size of the room, and the fact there was a real full-sized refrigerator in the suite. It was more like an apartment-sized kitchen, rather than the bare minimums you usually get. The staff was courteous and helpful, and the location in close proximity to PDX and Cascade Station is a real plus. Shari's restaurant is a 2-block walk away, or you've got the rest of Portland if you like. We would definitely try and stay here again next time we come through.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank golfsierra47
PDXCWGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear golfsierra47,

We appreciate your emphatic review of our Extended Stay Hotel near Portland International Airport. We are geared toward the extended stay traveler, however we do allow shorter lengths of stay based on availability. Also, thank you for mentioining that you were impressed with the size of the room as well as the fully equipped kitchen. Your comment about the courteous and helpfullness of our staff brings a smile to my face and I will be sure to share your comments with them. Again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Benicia, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

When in Portland, I usually stay at the Ramada on Stark St because it is near my brother's house but they didn't 't have room availability. I had never heard of Candlewood Suites but, based on the positive reviews and the fact that we like the extra room in suite hotels, we decided to give it a try. The hotel is fairly new - we were told it is about 2 1/2 years old. I guess this is considered a budget suites hotel. Housekeeping services are only provided once a week. We stayed there for 3 nights so this wasn't a problem for us. Guest do have the option to get clean towels (bedding, too, I guess) at the front desk. The front desk staff were efficient and very friendly. There are 2 computers in the lobby for guests to use.

Our suite with 2 queen beds was not real large but the kitchen was well equipped with a full size fridge, microwave, stove top, dishwasher, toaster, dishes, pans, etc. The air conditioner was fairly quiet and worked well. The bed was comfortable. The window opened a few inches. Wi-Fi was fine. The flat screen TV was small and the picture wasn't very good.

Bathroom: It was nice to have a cabinet with a drawer and space to store things under the sink. The showerhead was basic but good. The countertop was quite high, which was a plus for us but could be a problem for small children. The shampoo was a combination shampoo/conditioner which I don't usually like but this product worked ok on my hair. The bathroom fan was VERY loud but there were lights that were not connected to the fan so we didn't have listen to the fan every time we used the bathroom.

The beds have a "sign" on the pillows that says that you are given 3 standard pillows but that you can exchange them for a firmer pillow or a feather pillow. When I tried to get a firmer pillow, I was told that none were available. The desk clerk was very apologetic but, if they don't have a good supply of the optional pillows, I don't think they should offer the options.

There aren't many restaurants nearby. The last time we stayed near the airport, we had dinner at Shari's, which I did not like at all. If you don't want to cook in your suite because you just have a short stay or just don't feel like cooking, one option is to walk (or drive) to the nearby Courtyard by Marriott hotel. Their restaurant is really intended for people staying at that hotel but anyone can eat there. The food is a little pricey but fairly high quality with some healthy options. They have breakfast and dinner. Breakfast offerings (which you can get "to go") include oatmeal with berries & nuts and a healthy breakfast sandwich with egg whites, turkey Canadian bacon, cheese & spinach on an English muffin.

Following our first stay (which was reviewed above), we returned to the Candlewood Suites the following weekend and stayed 3 nights in a king suite. Considering that it was called a suite, it was quite small but it was ok. My biggest complaint about the king suite was that there were only 2 sets of dishes - 2 large plates, 2 small plates, 2 coffee mugs, etc. If 2 people stayed there for an extended stay & ate in frequently, they would be washing dishes a lot. I didn't realize when we stayed in the queen suite that there were more dishes because there could be 4 people staying in the suite.

Overall, we were happy with our 2 weekends at the Candlewood Suites and would definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TZK
Dear TZK,

We appreciate you giving us a try as your travel brings you to Portland to visit family. Also, thank you for mentioning the friendliness of the guest services staff. I will be sure to share your comments with them. I am sorry we were out of our "special pillows". We will make sure to order extra and have some on hand next time you are here visiting. Within 2-3 miles of the hotel we can reccomend local restaurants on both Sandy Blvd and Fremont Street. With a wide variety of Italian, Mexican, Indian and Brewhouses we are sure we can refer you to a restaurant that pleases your pallet. We hope to see you again each and every year. Also, as a tip ask to book one of our one bedroom suites which boasts more than 750 sq feet. i think you will find our one bedroom suites will meet your needs.