“better doughnuts exist, but the kitsch is worth it”

Voodoo Doughnut Too
Ranked #4 of 71 Bakeries in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I love sugar, but am not a huge doughnut fan (I will give a plug here for what I think ARE the best doughnuts in PDX -- Helen Barnard Bakery). But, there is something loveably kitchy about voodoo doughnuts. Even I have to appreciate looking down at the creations in a box of "voodoo dozen" (special price on 13 doughnuts) -- the marshmallows, the sprinkles, the crushed up Oreo cookies, and the Cocoa Puffs adorning the tops of dough make me appreciate originality and risk taking.

ANY KID will love these. In fact, I wonder if some of the crazy combinations have been designed by kids whose parents (I am one) would never let them put these items together due to overkill on sugar content.

For visitors and locals, Voodoo is worth a visit at least once. Not the very best doughnuts, but certainly the most daring.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The doughnuts are amazing and very explicit. What a fun place. Great service - very friendly and colorful as well. You can't go here if you are on a strict diet because every doughnut (with one exception) is either cream filled or piled high with toppings. I had the Memphis Mafia and was in awe, afraid I wouldn't be able to eat the remainder of the day. Yum! Go to look, go to eat. Also, really good prices. I have heard there are always lines at the downtown Voodoo, so try this out of the way location for instant gratification.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I thought to myself, why drive all this way just for a doughnut? well it was a GREAT DOUGHNUT! could not believe it was worth the drive! the assortment, the freshness, the place is interesting too.

2  Thank chantesinging
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Had been wanting to visit Voodoo Doughnut for years. When we got to Portland we drove to the orginal location. The line to get in was enormous. We asked how long the wait might be. "Somewhere between and hour and an hour and a half" was the response. I don't care how good they are, I am NOT waiting in line an hour for a doughnut. Not gonna happen.

Mentioned this to the valet back at the hotel and he said to go to Voodoo Too. Same stuff, much less wait. Talk about hitting the jackpot. We drove over, parked next to the front door, went in and ordered and were back at the hotel in less than half an hour.

Its true, they have a bit of an attitude but who cares. Ask lots of questions and get what really excites you in the doughnut varieties they offer. Everyone we had was delicious and very creative. They are doing it right and everyone seems to know this is the real deal.

The banana fritter was absolutely one of the best "doughnuts" I have ever eaten!

Go to Voodoo Too and enjoy without the insanity at the orginal!

1  Thank kkhinnm
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The donuts on the whole were good. I preferred some more than others. However, the place isn't very welcoming to newbies. There was no menu and no description and when you ask the the clerk a question he seemed very bothered. Can't really say if its worth the hype.