Open today: 9:30 AM - 4:00 PM

More Info
from $99.00
More Info
2,416 results
All reviews elephant exhibit polar bear baby elephant train ride animals seem wide variety of animals summer concerts pacific northwest children's museum rose garden elephants enclosures habitat exhibits bats condor tiger
Reviewed April 6, 2015

The zoo is a nice place to visit with great animal habitats. It's near the Rose Garden, Children's Museum, Forestry Center, Japanese Gardens, and Holocaust Museum. There are some indoor areas, so it wouldn't be terrible if it's drizzling. The entrance is reasonable considering how much you get to see. With a membership, it's a good deal if you visit just a few times a year. There are elephants, lions, giraffes, polar bears, otters, cheetahs, and more. The summer concerts on the lawn are also fun.

Date of experience: April 2015
Reviewed April 1, 2015

First of all, we really enjoyed the animals and spent three hours walking through the zoo. Th elephant area is being expanded, so you can't actually go up to the Asian Elephant exhibit, but we could still see them from afar. The staff were helpful and very nice. The main issue I had was the food. It's rather pricey for the options given and not worth the money you're going t spend. Definitely bring a sack lunch if you can. I realize that out of towners (like us) can't usually do this, but I will be stopping at the grocer prior to going and packing my own lunch next time.

Date of experience: March 2015
3  Thank Molly G
Reviewed March 31, 2015 via mobile

We're from San Francisco and can say this zoo is arranged much better with easy walking and a natural flow so if you just keep strolling, you've seen almost everything. Only bummer is they are still selling tickets to ride the train, but it only runs a few minutes with terrible views of construction. Yes they told us it was a short ride, but really would make more sense and be fair to just shut down the train until it's worth anything more than free.

1  Thank nursedave8
Reviewed March 30, 2015

I don't know if it was because it was a rare sunny Portland-day, or because they were giving away free shaved ice, but this zoo was amazing.

I go to my local zoo every year, and every few years venture further to the Calgary Zoo (one of Canada's best zoo's), and this zoo beats them all.

We went at around 1pm and it seemed like EVERY animal was up and about. I don't know how much I can attribute that to the zoo, or how much to the sunshine, but it was magical. All the lion cubs were playing, the cougars were stalking the guests, the otters were doing back flips, the vultures were circling, the black bears were "doing-it". Every turn was some amazing animal doing something amazing. I even watched one turtle slowly push another turtle off the heated rock.

As this zoo is not very big, they do a GREAT job making the most of the space! Not like most zoo's where it takes 5 minutes to walk past the 'deer' exhibit (snore), they lay out the exhibits so you get a great view, but can move on to the next animals easily. And they picked a great selection of animals too!

The only negative is because they are expanding the elephant exhibit, some of the paths are closed... so when you are in 'Africa', you need to walk back the way you came, which is not fun at the end of the trip and your party is getting grumpy.

I would highly recommend going to this zoo. At least in early March, when it's sunny and 20ºC, because my visit was perfect.

Two thumbs up for the Oregon Zoo!

Date of experience: March 2015
Reviewed March 30, 2015

Lots of fun, tons of animals , cute train ride around zoo, only complaint more verity of food besides hotdogs hamburger pizza and the food prices are way to high so pack a picnic

Date of experience: January 2015