“Great Zoo”

Portland Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
More Info
$94.00*
and up
Portland Combo: Hop-On Hop-Off Sightseeing Trolley and Columbia River Gorge Tour
Ranked #11 of 452 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Community-supported since 1888, the Oregon Zoo is a world leader in animal welfare and conservation, connecting more than 1.6 million visitors with the world of wildlife every year.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Oregon Zoo is one of the best zoo's I have ever visited. The scenery is beautiful!! Definitely pay for the ticket to ride the train, it is worth it. We rode the train to the rose garden got off and walked through the garden and to a great playground. To go through the zoo and ride the train plan on staying there all day. We rode public transportation from downtown and it was super easy.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a small zoo, but small means nice and cozy and much more walkable than larger zoos. We loved the exhibit on the Pacific Northwest, and the show about birds of prey, which kept our 4-year-old sitting still for a full half hour. Also highly recommend the train ride around Washington Park.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was our second time. It does not disappoint. Great zoo. So many animals to see. Love how big it is, and they are expanding. Found it difficult to navigate while in there. It seemed like that was a common concern with people around us. Better signage would be great. Awesome way to spend the day.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

You can't go wrong with a zoo. Helpful tip: go in the morning!! We went in the afternoon... and most of the animals were sleeping! Bummer! My favorites have to be Baby Lilly (the baby elephant), the flamingos, and the giraffes. The hippos were great too! Overall we had a fun time!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I visited the Oregon Zoo on solo trip in early August. I love zoos and spent many years as a volunteer at the Los Angeles Zoos. It's something that I always like to check out on vacations.

This zoo is absolutely beautiful. The grounds were created with an eye towards the natural beauty in the area. I loved the section with the eagles, with the waterfalls and bridges.

I loved the sculptures and art all over the park.

It's just very beautiful.

The animals seem to be very well cared for and I saw many cases of behavioral enrichment tools in the exhibits. i saw hippos playing with a ball and lions shredding a box. I saw very little evidence of repetitive behavior, a project that I worked on at the LA Zoo.

I felt like education was key and that they did a good job with signage, although there seemed to be few people reading the signs. It drives me nuts when people call Orangutans, OrangutanGS and refers to them as monkeys. Not the zoo's fault though!

I wish that there had been more food venues. I ate at the Cascade Grill, which was very nice, but it was lacking throughout the zoo.

The zoo tried with the campers program and with signage, but I wish that there had been more of an emphasis on making the zoo a quiet zone.

Also, the Lorikeet Landing needs to have more breaks. I heard from a keeper that the Lorikeets get agitated when there is too much noise. Again, a bigger emphasis on a quiet zone would be a good idea and maybe just closing it down when it gets too busy to give the poor birds a break!

Overall, a wonderful zoo that I hope to visit again soon.

Please check out my blog for more reviews, including a ton of pictures from my trip to the Oregon zoo!

Been to Oregon Zoo? Share your experiences!