“A very Portland Market”

Portland Saturday Market
Ranked #16 of 448 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Operating since 1974 the Portland Saturday Market is the largest continually operating outdoor arts and crafts market in the nation. Located in Waterfront Park and Ankeny Plaza in Portland’s historic Old Town the Market is one of the most popular shopping destinations for local handcrafted goods. The Market offers a unique opportunity for customers to meet the artist as well as see one of a kind pieces created in the artist’s booth. Over 250 small businesses and individuals artists from across the NW region gather each week for the Saturday/Sunday event with live music and a plethora of exotic foods that will satisfy everyone’s appetite.
Portland, Oregon
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“A very Portland Market”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I’ve been going to the Portland Saturday Market for years and it’s a great place to pick up a one of a kind, hand crafted souvenir of your trip to Portland. Each of the vendors at this market is selected by the Saturday Market jury based on the items they plan to sell, which must be hand made by the vendor. The market also has a food court containing food carts that serve food from around the globe.

Originally the market was contained under the Burnside Bridge but it has recently moved to the specially designed awning in Waterfront Park. Please be aware that there is also the Skidmore Market, which is closer to the MAX tracks and the Skidmore fountain. This is not another section of the official Saturday Market because it is more of a flea market selling cheap imported items.

Visited September 2013

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“The best!!!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

So we came here on Saturday and Sunday. Apparently there are a couple different vendor's that come on Sunday. We also wanted to go back and buy more things. My favorite part were the artist. From craft's, ceramics, oil, acrylic, food, to small flea market stuff that I wouldn't buy.

My favorite guy there was Chris and his 3 sevens pottery. He made these head's that were different and original. I ended up buying 4 head's to take home to my husband (which he loved). My husband actually said that we needed to ordered a couple more to make the wall complete. He didn't think that 2 "tequila monkey's" were enough and wants one of the guys from the Mohawk collection.

Another artist that I loved was Sienna with her Numberism. . She created her art with number's, letters, and chemical formulas. She was one of the most interesting artist there. After hearing about her process on how she creates each piece you can only sit there and appreciate it. I bought two of her piece and I still sit there in aw...wondering how anyone could create something so beautiful but yet so complex.

J.Slattum was another awesome person to meet. I ended up buying 3 pieces from him. His work again was unique and inspiring. I like art that makes you think. his art isn't just pretty pictures it makes you question what the artist was thinking when they created it and also makes you question you interpretation of it. I know art is subjective but I enjoy his pieces.

Also at this Saturday/Sunday market was food..... I had the best Gyro there which was amazing and fresh still dreaming of it. I also had this horrible cheese steak. I do not recommend this at all there.

All in All this was highly recommended to us and I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Visited November 2013
Kinnelon, New Jersey
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Festive Atmosphere”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

What I enjoyed about the Portland Saturday Market was the festive atmosphere—people having fun. We visited on a beautiful sunny day in August and it was quite crowded. We were there around lunchtime. There was a row of food vendors with a variety of types of food and all had long lines. We ordered Hawaiian plate lunches which were very tasty. There is a tent with tables and a musician. The eating area was very crowded but we were able to find 2 seats at a table with other people. Afterward we walked through the booths (covered with tents) and saw some interesting items but did not buy anything. It was also pleasant to walk near the river.

I see a lot of reviews here referring to a flea market. There is another market across the street from the Saturday Market that sells low quality merchandise (mostly not crafts) but I do not think that is really part of the Portland Saturday Market.

Visited August 2013
Helena, MT
262 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 465 helpful votes
“What a find, you can do all your Xmas shopping here!”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Saturday market goes through Sun also. If you ever wondered where all the old hippies went, they got into handcrafted items to sell here. What a great bunch of stuff, and protected from the elements by being under the bridge.

Handcrafted food also. I think you can do all your Xmas shopping here and miss all the chain stores and big boxes, which is a good thing!

They take down all the booths every week. Lots of folks come so parking can get scarce so keep that in mind.

We are from Montana and we always try to hit this event over the years when we are in town. Fun

Visited December 2012
Vancouver, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Kathmandu Cafe.”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

after discovering this hidden gem, momo's from Kathmandu, are a priority. few places in the Northwest to go get Himilayan. Momo's, the sauces, salad, brown rice, beans. $7

Visited November 2013

Been to Portland Saturday Market? Share your experiences!