“Unexpected Find in Down-town”

Portland Japanese Garden
Ranked #3 of 454 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Considered the most authentic Japanese Garden outside of Japan, the Portland Japanese Garden is a haven of tranquil beauty in all four seasons. In Spring of 2017, the Garden opened its new Cultural Village, complete with new garden spaces, classrooms, exhibition and gallery space, and the Umami Cafe.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The Garden is just beautiful, it is so restful and even with week-end crowds you seem to have parts of it all to yourself. It is really a little piece of Japan here in Portland. We have visited Japan and love it, but at times you could close your eyes and very easily pretend you had been transported there as you wonder through this wonderful place. Don't miss the gift shop, as they have some wonderful gift ideas. They were so helpful shipping stuff back home for us, and everything arrived in time and in good shape.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,056)

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I finally made it to the Japanese Gardens in Washington Park. I love this park,the rose garden, the holocaust memorial...but the Japanese Garden is magnificent. It is five acres of Japanese gardens,tea houses, gardens and beautiful plants, water, Lilly's dish and waterfalls. Exquisite all around. A thrilled I finally made it here. Photo ops are everywhere!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our tour guide was very knowlegible. The garden itself was quiet and peaceful. The plants were well cared for. The buildings were also interesting. I would like to go back again when I had more time to wander through the paths.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We took the tour. It was very interesting and informative. It lasted about 1 hour. The beautiful green vegetation along with the hills and water features was so peaceful. You feel you are in Japan, but are in the city of Portland. It is much walking on Stoney , hilly paths. It would be dangerous with people that are not sure footed or elderly.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I enjoyed the Rose Garden much more and that one was free. Walked through the Japanese Gardens in less than 30 minutes. Not sure why it is close to 20 dollars per person to see them. I would save my money and go someplace else like the zoo. Dont get me wrong it was pretty just too pricey for what it is.

Been to Portland Japanese Garden? Share your experiences!