“Late October - Special Colors”

Portland Japanese Garden
Ranked #3 of 453 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Considered the most authentic Japanese Garden outside of Japan, the Portland Japanese Garden is a haven of tranquil beauty in all four seasons. In Spring of 2017, the Garden opened its new Cultural Village, complete with new garden spaces, classrooms, exhibition and gallery space, and the Umami Cafe.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We visites the Japanese Gardens in late October during peak foilage season in Portland. The colors in the garden were spectacular! Definitely worth the time to spend a few hours at the garden if you are from out of town.

1  Thank tcubsfan
There are newer reviews for Portland Japanese Garden

Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband is not big on touring gardens (why should you pay to see a park?), but I've heard nothing but amazing things about this place since my son moved to Portland five years ago so I insisted. Of all the things we've seen in Portland over the past five years, I have to say that the Japanese Garden is probably the most impressive. I walked through the garden in awe at the attention to detail. The view from every conceivable angle is perfect. Every fence, wall, bridge, even the edging on the garden beds, is made from natural materials. I marveled at how the vertical and horizontal bamboo pieces of the fences were meticulously tied together at every joint with natural fiber rope, each knot identical. If the fence knots are that enthralling, you can imagine how much time you can spend taking in every aspect of these gardens. Even my husband was enchanted.

I envisioned lots of streams, bridges, and waterfalls, all the same. After all, how different can one bridge be from another? Have you ever seen a zigzag bridge? Like visual candy when you add a koi pond and waterfall. I only wish the irises had been in bloom.

The bamboo art exhibit in the pavilion was fascinating. I didn't realize all the ways bamboo can be used in art.

We visited the gardens on a cold, overcast day in November, and it was amazing. I found myself wondering what it would look like in other seasons. Definitely worth an annual membership if you live in the area or visit frequently.

2  Thank Cynthia R
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This place is a true Portland gem - gorgeously maintained, an interesting schedule of special exhibits and seasonal variation that keep it interesting. My husband bought me a beautiful small tree from there that sits on our back porch for my own little piece of the garden.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Everything from the way the mossy stones are paved to fresh tea in the garden makes this a fantastic place to go. The flowers and trees are beautiful and the koi pond is outstanding. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

The maples are incredible when they peak in the fall, the flowers are amazing in spring. Always an isle of tranquility even when all of portland seems to have come to see the fall.

Been to Portland Japanese Garden? Share your experiences!