“School trips in fall!”

Oregon Historical Society Museum
Ranked #20 of 453 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: View the 1845 covered wagon on display as well as the Native American Basketry collection.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We were surrounded by school trips as we went through the displays which were very well behaved groups of children. The possibility of not being rushed in these circumstances are slim but you just have to get on with it. My children weren't overly interested in the pioneering ways of the hardy folk who conquered the West. I thoroughly enjoyed the visit but wished that I myself could have had / made more time to take it all in.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We thoroughly liked the museum, especially the 3rd floor that is specifically about Oregon. As anthropology buffs, we found this to be a very decent museum about Oregon.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

This origami exhibit is fantastic and one passes through another unexpected pleasure, the Pendleton history. I really appreciated its hours, Monday, when other museums are closed. Everything else I saw was equally interesting and well displayed and it's located right across from the art museum and around the corner from great theater.

1  Thank Pbfiftyfour
Reviewed November 3, 2013

For so much space it didn't seem like they really described the artifacts very well. I recall one intriguing bone with a strip of leather on it, labelled simply "quirt". What's a quirt? Why is it here? Is this particular one significant? Does it relate to any of the other artifacts in the exhibit?

The kids hands-on play area was entertaining for the youngsters and saved the museum from the dreaded one-dot "terrible" rating. The temporary exhibit with its large touch-screens was also very nice. If the rest of the museum had that level of in-depth discussion my rating would be much different. Maybe they'll be adding this in the future?

2  Thank Steve B
Reviewed October 22, 2013

a worthwhile stop in your visit to portland. good special exhibits and comprehensive history of oregon.